Physio for costo - What to expect

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Guys,

I start physio in a few weeks - can you if you have had any experience let me know what to expect? did it make your condition better/worse?

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie, 

I think it depends on what soet of physio and where. I personally felt massive relief from my costochondritis when I had physio on my back. Almost like a back massage but more to kind of snap your back into place. My Dr said it's because with the pain naturally your body starts to lean forward to try to compensate or make the pain better. 

But I did once have physio where the therapist smacked my back, like they do when you have bad flu or bronchitis or pneumonia and that gave me such intense pain. So I would say make sure you are aware of what the therapist should and should not do. Where I'm from costochondritis is something very rare so most therapists don't know what actually works and what makes it worse. 

But for me.... Physio did give me a lot of relief. 

Let us know how it goes 

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

I've been booked in sooner than I thought - Tomorrow!! I will update this thread

Wish me luck!

• Posted

I found relief but very temporary. Sometimes would only last while they are working on you, but everyone is different.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,

A quick physio update.

I didn't think much of going to be honest but this is my last ditch attempt at getting back to relatively normal life.

My physiotherapist was quite concerned that after so long I had not been referred sooner.

I got asked tonnes of questions about my medical history (extensive)!!

then we got down to giving me muscle manipulation - which was great on the day I could move freely and driving home was the best I've felt in a long time (had a little sob in the car I was so happy)

Next day... I have never ever ever been at that level of pain it was a 11/10 and I felt as though I was going to pass out, took painkillers and smothered my bruised self in voltarol... great fun.

However, over the last week I have kept up with my exercises and have kept fairly active day to day and I actually feel slightly better the blown up chest feeling I had seems to have gone. 

Next session is in a few weeks and I've booked time off work for recovery because after last time I cant imagine being able to work.

Marie 

• Posted

Hi Marie,

I start a new physio on Tuesday. Great to know what to expect. Keep us updated .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.