Physio, pros cons and evidence

Posted , 12 users are following.

Some people here swear by physio saying it really helps while others have stories saying physio pushed them too far and caused extra pain.

I'm wondering about other's experiences. What was physio like and what was the outcome for you? I'm also very curious about studies that may have been done into the effectiveness of physio following a hip replacement.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kikeena,

I live in Scotland and at my hospital we don't have physio at all, just the post opp. exercises to do at home, also we only have a 12 week check up not 6 as in England, but I had physio pre opp before they decided to let me have my first THR, and the pain was excruciating!! hope this helps you decide, I think it all depends on the experience of the physio mine was a young guy, and to be honest I don't think he quite understood the pain i was in.

• Posted

I'm sorry your pain was excruciating. Only other hippies can really understand. It was excruciating pain that drove me to this forum. And I find the younger physios often don't have as much understanding of what it like to be in that much pain and how it makes you depressed and fearful of further exercises and possible pain.

I've had 2 knee replacements before this and they constantly stressed the need to have enough pain killers so you could do your exercises. But the same thing doesn't seem to happen with hip replacements. I think I'm going to skip physio until I'm walking and then have my gait assessed. I'll do the exercises but let nature do the bulk of the healing at this early stage.

• Posted

I agree that the importance of painkillers after THR is not stressed enough. I was told on one hand to take It to keep pain to a mInimum but also got the impression that I should be working on weaning off pain med. Unfortunately, I am beginning my 4th week and just now realizing my lack of progress stems from trying to reduce pain meds too soon.
    • Posted

Riley

tomorrow is three weeks for me. I am using Tylenol during the day but still need pain mess to sleep at night. I hope that ends this week. I just don't like how they make me feel. 😔

• Posted

I'm in the U.S. And my surgeon teaches THR at John Hopkins University and is considered one of the top surgeons in his field. That being said, I had to wear the compression stockings (yuck) and was on hip restrictions for 6 weeks. Home physical therapy started the day after I arrived home for 3 weeks, 2 weeks of in-home occupational therapy (teaching me how to use a "hip kit" and dress myself, etc., and now I have 15 weeks of out-patient PT 2 times a week which my insurance covers. Honestly, I really have needed the therapists as I'm afraid I would have hurt myself and I need the extra nudge and encouragement! I did a lot of online research though before selecting a physical therapist which I think is key.
    • Posted

That's really interesting about a top surgeon wanting the stockings. Maybe there is something to them. And I think home physiotherapy would be much easier than either hospital live in rehab, or attending a clinic twice a week. I'm glad it's worked out for you and you were able to research and choose your therapist.
    • Posted

Hi again Kikeena

Hmmmmm.don't.Exeter hospital announce they are the best for orthopaedic work in UK and say teds stockings are so 1980s. So confusing all this. Meanwhile I was just happy not to have them or anything other than junior asprin!

Mic.x

• Posted

The difference now is that we have forums and can catch them out on the crazy practices. I've ditched the stockings. But I take 1 baby aspirin a day as a blood thinner anyway so it's no great deal.
  • Posted

Interesting study saying doing exercises at home is as effective as doing them in a clinic.http://blog.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/home-physical-therapy/
    • Posted

Hi Kikeena, again!

exercises at home are moderately good for me, but i do best with aPT shouting at me!

Mic

x

• Posted

Lol! I truly hate it and dig my heals in and like a 2 year old refuse to follow directions.. Humph.

So this suits me very well. I love a world where we're all different. Have fun mic! And let me know how you go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.