Physio therapy after ankle fusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI, i hope someone can help me. I Feel in real limbo at the moment. I had ankle fusion surgery 8 weeks ago. to my right ankle . I spent the first 4 weeks in plaster and the past 4 weeks in a boot using crutches. i saw my surgeon yesterday who told me to stop using the crutches now. this is ok but when i first stand after sitting a while my foot is painful so i need one crutch for a few minutes. Now i dont get to see him now for another 8 weeks but he has told me that in 2 or 3 weeks time to stop using the boots. i asked would i be refered to physio and be said there is no physio, walking would my physio. This terrifies me and i feel it is too soon. i dont know how much mobility will be in my foot or how to move it. I also asked him if i would need special shows and he said what ever you want. I dont feel he has been very helpful and its stressing me out. sorry for going on i just hope somebody can help me

thank you TRICIA

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Tricia, I feel you!!! reading your post took me back, I had 4 ankle surgeries.... the last 2 were fusions and the last one was last April. mine was after a car accident and was shattered so mine might be worse case scenario. its so scary when they tell you to walk on it and the reason physical therapy isn't that important is because with a fusion you will never get any motion cause its fused. the fear that your feeling is so real !!!!! just go at your own pace and even though its hard to believe it will get better with time.

good luck to you

kim

• Posted

Thankyo for that Kim

ive also had 2 previous operations on the same ankle. trying to do tendon repairs and clearing out.

Its good to hear about your experience. I hope you are fully recovered now, it gives me hope and as silly as it sounds i have been feeling so lonely being confined to the house the majority of the time

Tricia

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post op with right ankle fusion and Achilles release. At my last review at 6 weeks post op I asked about PT. I was told to wait until after next review at 10 weeks. I wasn't happy with that because I was told to start wb with boot but I wanted someone to confirm I was walking right. I had another surgery a couple of years previously and have walked with my foot/knee twisted for 3 years. So, against my surgeons wishes, I consulted with a PT and she has picked up that I am twisting at the hip and need to strengthen muscles (inside of thighs) and loosen other muscles(glutes). I am able to now work on these before I am cleared for ankle PT. I say, go. Your ankle will thank you! I am asked a lot if I am in pain and I also say, no. it's more a discomfort. I still have numbness to toes and foot. Having said that, I am keen to start driving and to wear a shoe!

• Posted

hi, thats what im worried about. i have been walking with one crutch as i dont feel confident. i am still in my boot but i feel i dont know how to walk and place my foot on the ground. also i am walking lopsided and am worried its going to take its toll on my hip. my surgeon wont refer me to pt so should i go to my gp to see if they will refer me?

• Posted

I saw the PT without referral. You are entitled to make decisions regarding your own health. Like I said, the PT isn't actually doing any work with the ankle itself but looking at my whole lower half function. I am paying her now and after referral the insurance company will take over. Sounds like you need it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.