Physio this morning

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok, so I have a problem. Saw physio this morning (12 weeks and a day after my last session) and she told me that I don't have a badly degenerative disk, and that the pain is more of a mental thing than anything  because of being in pain for 6 years. I have been told to go for a second opinion because all she did was look at a scan and send me on my way, no check on my medication and no poking and prodding of my back. Both of hich have happened every time I have been to physio before. This is the second time I have seen her (she claims I have seen her many times before) and that I last saw her 4 - 6 weeks ago when my last appointment was 7th May 2014, Any suggestions on what to do?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Claire, I would be inclined to disregard the phisio and speak to a real medical person like a doctor. Only people with spinal problems have a real understanding of how debilitating the problems are.

• Posted

I hare to say this but i'd disregard this advice. I had physio once for sciatica and was given traction and other physio related exercises. This didnt actually help me at the time because my physio has wrongly diagnosed my condition. It wasnt until I went back to my GP and he referred me to the local hospital where I had an MRI done. This showed a dual level disc prolapse on levels L4/5 and L5/S1. No physio could have felt or known iI had popped  two discs and had made matters worse. So if your still in pain go back to GP and ask for a scan.

Good luck.

• Posted

Check there aren't two of you with similar names at the surgery or wherever you go for physio.. Unlikely I know  but worth checking out.

You didnt say how old the scan was they were looking at? You could ask for a new scan if you feel the symptoms have worsened.

Again good luck as if your like me I join a new 18 week queue every time I see someone new and now I;m on the final 18 week queue for surgery but has been ongoing since 2007 when it all started. Incidentally I was referreed to my local pain clinic where I received nerve root block corticosteroid injections that helped with pain relief. I had 5 sessions over as many years but now unfortunately am facing microdisctectomy and spinal fusion to sort me out .

• Posted

hi claire if i was you go to your gp and insiste on seeing the orthopedices at whatever hospital of your choice the gp cannot refuse you i had the same prob with physio who caused more harm than good i ended up having a prolaspsed disc then surgery on l5-s1 hope this helps you all the best graham
  • Posted

After suffering for 6 years Claire, I would recommend going back to your GP and push for another scan of the MRI variety. Physio' is great AFTER proper diagnosis, but can make the situation far worse especially when they don't listen to their patients! Would also consider filing a complaint against the therapist who suggested that your pain is all in your mind! Degenerative discs do not get better all on their own and if you are still taking medication and experiencing pain, you really do need to go back to your GP.

I really feel for you and hope that you get the help you need very soon.

Best wishes,

Kim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.