Physiotherapy after TKR

Posted , 19 users are following.

I would like to ask a question re Physio.  Some of you seem to think your PT has been superb.  Can I ask what he/she does with you.  I feel that mine has been a total waste of space and I'm not sure what to do yo try to improve the angle of the bend in my knee.

I go back on Thursday to see my surgeon, it will be 7.5 weeks since the op.  I want to be able to speak honestly to him about my experience.

I have to say that without this forum I would have been lost.  It has been the best source of information for me.  I trust all of you as you have been through the same experience as me and we understand each other.  They do say 'A problem shared, is a problem halved'.  Too true I say.

Today I went into town with my daughter and 5 year old granddaughter.  Hitchin is an old market town with cobble streets and lots of steps up and down on and off pavements.  I went without a stick, big big regret.  I am almost 7 weeks post-TKR.  My leg was in agony and I couldn't wait to get home.  That was really depressing as I thought I was doing so much better.

This is a long slog and I just wish I had realised that fact.

good luck everyone.

Liz

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

regarding what my  physiotherapist ddi . .  . not a great deal . . massage first, then lifting and bending the leg, pushing it as straight as possible, then, while I was seated in a chair, forcing it back as far as possible until I literally screamed 'STOP' at her . . then also showed me how to go up and down steps, watched me walk, and gave some advice about concentrating on the proper movement. . showed me a few exercises to do, such as lifting the leg about a foot off the bed and holding, drawing the foot back as far as possible using my own muscles,  . . that was about it really.  On my own at three weeks.  Seven week post TKR is very early to be trying to walk around town let alone without a stick!  Pottering around at home and the garden is a very different scenario from being out and about isn't it!  You are way ahead of how I was at seven weeks. . couldn't even have considered such a thing!  I'm now a year post TKR, and it more or less feels like my knee!

• Posted

I just found out that I need a double knee replacement. What exercises should I be doing to get my knees ready. I can't afford to go to a physio thereapist

• Posted

Not sure where you live but here in Wales and in England Physiotherapy is free.

You can even refer yourself here without having to go through a doctor.

Regarding exercises I think if you can just keep moving as much as possible.

There are particular exercises that a trained physiotherapist would give you, but I am not a trained physiotherapist and do not want to be giving you wrong advice.

Do take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

Strengthen your quads. Get a picture from your Dr or even off you tube. Lie on your back, using your upper leg muscles, tighten the muscle a and do leg lots. Go slow at 1st b: start by holding to count of 5 and increase. Slowly, gently lift the leg and hold to count of 5. Every few days increase time, height and number of reps. Ice the leg when you are through. Hydrate excessively.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.