Physiotherapy exercises

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 18 years old and was diagnosed with Joint Hypermobility Syndrome when I was 10. However I have not been physio or doctors in relation to this since then, and fear my condition has become worse, especially as when I was younger I did not make an effort to do exercises given to me by the physio. Basically asking here if anyone can recommend exercises, as i know there's a long waiting list for the physio. All my joints are affected sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I found some really useful exercises on the NHS website whilst I was waiting for physio, I googled exercises for hypermobility and found a really good variety, most of which my physio has since built into my current exercise plan. Have also been told swimming is good for you, but I mainly stick to the exercises I can do at home. Good luck.
  • Posted

Yep. Agree with Nikki. Just start slow and build up. As a swimming instructor I can say swimming is great. Maybe not breastroke kick. Depending on how yr knees are.
  • Posted

Hi Ellie, please don't feel guilty about not doing them as you are making positive steps now.  Depending where you are you can hopefully self refer for physio and if you have multiple joint issues just keep referring.  Hopefully MSK/physio depts will soon see us eds patients more consistently.  There are also EDS support groups that meet up in different areas, all ages, if that helps. Take care doing online exercises if not used to them and swimming.  Best to start very slowly with repetition. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.