physiotherapy for herniated disc

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

I recently had a physiotherapist assessment and treatment at the hospital for my herniated disc. During the assessment he also discovered that i have a problem with my hip which he thinks is the cause of a lot of my pain. He gave me a some excercises to follow at home, however one of the excercises is causing me intense pain and i struggle to do even 2 supposed to do 3 sets of 12.  Should I persevere or am i causing more problems I haven't got to another appointment until March. Has anyone had the similiar issues.

Thankyou 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

No don't pesevere, what is the exercise, try 3 for 2 weeks and then increase. They must be daft for giving you all those exercises at once.  Don't think much of that. A ot of the exercises that the UK give you are forms of yoga, can you explain lisa or is it complicated?  You could hurt your back, careful
    • Posted

Hi Enna

Thanks for replying basically you sit on a chair fold your arms so you don't cheat and you have to stand up using only one leg. i can do this fine on my left but i can't weight bear on my right i get intense pain in my right buttock and up my back. i never asked him if they are supposed to hurt.  Just don't want to cause any more damage.

thankyou

• Posted

Did he do any imaging (x-ray or MRI) or was his assessment based on just a physical exam? If you are in severe pain then it is a warning to not do something until it is checked out. Call the physio department and ask them for advice - they should find you an earlier appointment.
    • Posted

Hi Eileen

no i had mri of my lumbar spine that showed 2 herniated disc but nothing covering my hip or si joints. i will call them monday see what they suggest.

thankyou

• Posted

Only done one repetition with him but it was of a raised bed and only had a slight bit of pain. I am supposed to do it of a chair but can't even manage it properly from a lower position it's impossible, managed a couple but was in agony can't be right. Think he may be right that my hips the problem
    • Posted

Have you tried with a much higher stool to start with? Like a kitchen stool? Seems strange to give you an exercise without having seen you do it from the height he's telling you to. When I first starting doing similar things I couldn't have done it from an ordinary chair - but a much higher one and then reducing the height as I got fitter worked.

Good luck on Monday!

Never mind - not long until Monday!

• Posted

correct you shouldn't do exercise,but the exercises I gave out - I do with 3 prolapsed discs and never will get a fusion.  I think that the physio wass terrible giving an exercise like that.  I only do gentle exercise and I have to keep it a bit quite how good my bones are as they always say something about me being very flexible.  Yes I am but it doesn't mean that I don't have 3 prolapsed discs and in terrible pain.  Honestly how they come to these conclusions I don't know.  They do think the physios that physio is the thing that gets you better, well in some cases it does but in some cases it doesn't - it just makes another part of your body sore.Its as bad as doctors saying you are too old to have anything done to your body...

• Posted

Thats a good idea but then I wasn't given such a silly exercise first off.  why didn't he tell her that.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, well you have my sympathy, I have 3 prolapsed discs. look up herniated and prolapsed discs they are different.
    • Posted

The [physios gave me exercises when I had a prolapsed discs. It was an osteopath who got me going.  He believed me and he said he couldn't do anything for me any more I would be wasting money. He made an appointment with Darlington hospital (I know a long way from me) and it showed up I had a herniated discs but then thats years ago - about 15 I think and when I went back to the dr to make an appointment to go to a consultant she said no - the pct didn't have any money to spend on "things" like this. They thought i was putting it on, Trouble is I think they thought I was a bit of a know all as I read up about "things".  I paid to see the first surgeon and he said i had spinal stenosis which I hadn't a clue about and then they did actually pay for me to have something done but this eventually (months later) lead to another problem, I paid again to be seen by one of "the best" in England who wasn't the best, unless he opened me up and saw something he couldn't do (i.e. fusion eventually) and he did decompression.  But then I paid for the op £7,000 (he did a spinal injection first that cost me £1,000) I have always thought that i should sue but don't know whether i would be out of time.

Do you all remember the time when your doctor couldn't send you to a consultant outside your own PCT?  Once you could pick and choose your surgeon outside your own PCT it all changed.  I know its not the same as a disc replacement but has anyone gone onto the site ADRSupportuK.  There is a lot of information on there, although not been on it for a long time.

• Posted

You will never guess what I have done, start my own discussion lol

I have tried to do that exercise and can't do it on either leg.  But these are core exercises with hatha yoga, which I haven't seen one of them and the cat/cow, I have to do on the bed as I have water on the knee but I will do it. But gentle first though on each one. 

I have to say that it requires dedication but it does really help. I can't remember where you have pain, but mine is in the groin and back.  Within 15 minutes in the city I have pain so I just sit down somewhere and put my head between my knees, I don't care who sees me, they don't know me.  I just love yoga - if there is a class near you go.... tell me what you think.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.