Pi-RAD score of 5

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just had an MRI scan of the prostate. At follow up consultant casually said I’m surprised you are PI-RAD 5 with such a low PSA! Didn’t have a clue what that meant just remembered it so I could google it afterwards! He didn’t seem at all concerned so at the time neither was I? I’m booked in next week for a MRI Fusion Transperineal Targrted Biopsy Oct 5th 2017! After reading the likely hood of this being clinically significant cancer (or am I getting mixed up with Gleason Scale?) should I be worried or is it common the PI-Rad 5 can mean nothing at all? Any advice please. I’m not scared just need to do what’s best! I’m 50 years old! Is that not quite young for Prostate Ca? 

Any advice please 

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I curious why doctors are ordering their test backwards. In other words, shouldn't we be tested with a PSMA, or Choline C11, or Axumin PET scan first to see where the cancer is, then move onto a biopsy and 3TMRI?

• Posted

on the same wavelength, buddy! was thinking the exact same thing couple days ago! a giant factor in deciding what treatment method to go with is whether the cancer has metastasized. my urologist told me the choline11 scan gives false positives, and should only be used post-prostatectomy. they've just established that an MRI scan before biopsy makes sense, yet when i was sent pre-biopsy forms, for an MRI-guided in-bore biopsy, i see on the form that the TRUS fusion method could possibly detect PCa that the MRI guided could miss!! i mean, wth??  

• Posted

Hi i just saw what you posted im super scared did a mri came back with a pi rad 4 and pirad 5 will be doing the fusion targeting biopsy on june 15 , 2018 , im praying for the best outcome you gave me hope to read your post , scared of the biopsy as well of the pain it might cause, thank you for your post , and god bless you
    • Posted

hi al93 - mri-ultrasound fusion is about the best that medicare pays for. Dr. Karamanian in houston, TX charges $2,500 for mri-guided in-the-scanner biopsy. biopsy sucks, getting poked a dozen times is no party but no other way to get further treatment without those Gleason scores. blood in urine and semen for a week or two afterward. if you have trouble peeing, have  urol. Rx some flomax, you'll be fine. and please, ignore the idiots yelling "biopsy spreads cancer!" -- it may, a fraction of a percent. but the risk of NOT getting the biopsy far out-weighs the risk of "tracking". luck and prayers, buddy

• Posted

Good luck for the 15th.

Nice to see you're having a TARGETED biopsy, as I had (transperrenial).

Any other type of biopsy is literally shooting arrows in the dark and increases the chance for sepsis.

Once you get the biopsy results, sit back, BREATHE and consider ALL options.

Whatever you do, even if you decide to do nothing, do NOT rush into a decision.

• Posted

Your comment on biopsy is correct. It is better to know than to rely on luck etc.
    • Posted

Thank you , yes just waiting for june15 on that biopsy, im 55 with a 2 psa , did a mri radiologist said my impression is a pyrad 4 and a pyrad 5 this thing doesnt let me sleep just thinking , of the WHAT IF'S,,,,, DR say well we will know when we do the biopsy, what is truly there, god bless you. And bless me as well ,

• Posted

Hello sorry for late response, who all goes well for you on the 15th. Three weeks ago I had to have another more powerful imaging scan 3 tesla scan! This was because my PSA had doubled in 6 months, so you can't help to have some mild worry going on. Anyway the 3 tesla downgraded my previous 4's and 5 to 2's and a 3. So that's positive news I guess. Urologist won't discharge me yet however as he wants another PSA repeated in 3 months time. But my negative biopsy with downgraded imaging scores are all a step in the right direction. Hope yours will be too 

• Posted

I will pray for you , everything will be ok , as for me hopeing for the best i will keep you posted. About biopsy and results and please keep me posted on your results as well , we are all in this boat till the end ,but it does change our ways off seeing life , and what we eat im just thinking about that biopsy. Ive heard so many things , so if you remember keep me in your prayers, thank you and not good luck but great luck with great news
  • Posted

Hi Mike,

I'm going through the same thing. Gleason score 6. PSA 2.6. I have a RAD 5 lesion. This doesn't mean that you have to have radical surgery. I suspect I'll either be on a watch list or the DR. and I will agree on radiation treatment. I'm going to discuss the new ultrasound treatment, which is little bit more invasive but very new and appears to be very effective as they treat the cancer spot. I also have a RAD 3 area. We'll see what the verdict is next week. Hang in there. I'm 70 so the recommendation maybe different for me than you because you're so young.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.