Picolax and colonoscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Wow what a 36 hours, was reading articles on this site with interest and was wondering how lucky/unlucky I would get with the dreaded picolax.

Started a low fibre diet on Monday which I sensibly stuck to. First sachet Tuesday afternoon at 2pm (24 hours before), 2 hours in and it finally took effect but nothing too bad however the second sachet at 6pm and the results were truly awful. I could not leave the toilet for 14 hours due to the sudden feeling of needed to goto the toilet which was more or less every 15 minutes. I slept on the toilet and got two hours sleep. I would stand up and have that urge to go within seconds. Even 10 hours after the sachet the results were still explosive. All I was drinking was water. So on just 2 hours sleep the next sachet was at 8am. Carnage again. Infact I was still going right up until leaving for the hospital which is 40 mins away and the sting around the bum hole was unbearable enough to make me feel sick. Vaseline and wet wipes are a must. Anyway with Towel and pad in place I actually made it to the hospital surprisingly. However between my procedure and arrival I probably went another 10 times. I even said can it still go ahead as I'm still pooing. Consisting of yellow water to clear water. As they called me down I was still on the loo. After that no issues. The procedure was fine, little uncomfortable and not much wind after. Was only slightly sedated. Discharged within 2 hours and home now feeling knackered.

My consultant said I clearly had a sensitive bowel for the picolax to work like that for so long. All he has reaffirmed is that I have IBS and nothing more serious.

I will add I still have loose stools AFTER the colonoscopy!

My tips as I don't want this to sound like a horror story:

Stick to the low fibre diet religiously

Drink plenty of water

Vaseline and wet toilet roll wipes are a must

Don't panic if you have to goto the toilet throughout the night this is normal.

Don't panic if you still goto the toilet upto the procedure they are used to it.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had a number of tests needing a gut clear out and the only time I had a bad reaction ever was to...Picolax. Much the same as you and all through the night. With all the other preparations I have had (Citromag and Movieprep) they were effective but nothing like as vicious and I could get a proper sleep. The diarrhoea also stopped finally well before the test with the other two products. Different hospitals prefer different products but a leading consultant told me he did not like the reaction to be too violent. I would make a fuss if they tried to give it me again.
    • Posted

I tried to refuse the prep the hospital insisted on, as it contained citric acid when badly upsets my hiatus hernia.  They refused to listen and insisted I take it.  So as well as dealing with the constant runs, I was also forced to drink litres of the ghastly stuff which gave me severe reflux and burning pain - a nightmare to keep down.  I think next time I will follow your advice and make much more of a fuss!!
  • Posted

Hi Dorset

I too had a very similar experience, but with Moviprep.  I started at 6pm and then went every 2 - 20 minutes for the next 17 hours until I had to leave for the Hospital, via the public loos at Tesco!  I continued to go frequently in the 3 hours I sat in the waiting room, then afterwards every time I ate something for the next 48 hours it went straight through me.  I had Picalax previously and it was quite fierce but not as bad, and when I had GastroGravin, it was just a few hours and quite tolerable.  So I guess we all react differently to different preps.

Glad nothing sinister showed up - I have severe Diverticular Disease which has similar symptoms.  I guess we both have to watch what we eat carefully from now on.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.