Picolax bowel prep taste?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have a colonoscopy next week and I have been given Picolax. I was due to have this colonoscopy a couple of days ago while taking the bowel prep called Moviprep. It was so disgusting I couldn't finish it and had to cancel and rearrange the colonoscopy to next week. I'm slightly worried about taking the new bowel prep. Does it taste anywhere near as bad as the Moviprep? The Moviprep made me gag after every mouthful and eventually I threw it up... I'm really hoping the Picolax tastes slightly better than the Moviprep. Anyone had it before?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had it years ago and it wasn't half as much to drink as the Moviprep so the taste didn't really matter - I did find it a bit vicious though, but a lot of people don't mind it. The one I got on best with was citramag plus some senna bit each gastro department seem to prefer a different one!

• Posted

That would be a lot better than trying to drink 2 litres of the Moviprep. As long as it tastes slightly better then I should be able to drink it. My consultant only does Moviprep or Picolax. Thanks for the reply.
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I had picolax in May before my colonoscopy. It had a weak orange taste, definetely found it easy to drink and handle. I didn't try moviprep so cannot comment. What I would say is the picolax results, especially after the 2nd sachet aren't pleasant. Just prepare yourself for a night on the toilet and if you get anything less than that it's a bonus!

Eat sensibly the two days beforehand and good luck. Any further questions let me know.

• Posted

Hi, thankyou for replying. The Moviprep was foul it tasted like pure salt and washing up liquid and sick with a slight hint of lemon. I managed to drink the first litre but couldn't get down the second. How much of Picolax do you have to drink and what times do you drink them during the day/evening? 

• Posted

A glass full each time. Not too bad can be sipped not down in one.  my colonoscopy was 2pm Wednesday, I think I did a sachet at 2.30 And 6.30 on the Tuesday and 7am the day of it. 

• Posted

Thankyou I'm hoping I can handle the taste of it.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, the picolax is a walk in the park compared to moviprep. My colonoscopy was booked for 10am so i had my first sachet at 3pm the day before and the 2nd sachet 2 hours later. It just tastes a little lemony and as its only a cup full each dose, by the time you taste it you have already finished the glass. Then have another drink at the ready to cleanse your palette. Don't worry if you don't go to the toilet immediately. My first bowel movement didn't happen until 7pm. Then it was hourly until midnight, and I was able to get a good sleep in before my procedure the next day. Drink lots of water and apply vaseline after every movement so you don't get sore smile

• Posted

Hi thankyou for replying at least it isn't as much to drink as the Moviprep. My colonoscopy is booked for 8am. Some people say that Picolax doesn't clean your colon out as much as the Moviprep. Did you have any issues?

• Posted

I agree with you, it's vile I managed all but the last 250ml....to drink all of it in one evening was just too much. I started off ok, added ice, used straw but by the end was gagging so much. 

It did work though and wasn't bothered by the sitting on the toilet too much. No cramps, but did shiver and felt awful after drinking most if it.

The colonoscopy was fine, didn't have sedation or gas,( like to know what's going on)  just breathed through  the slight pain a couple of times it felt uncomfortable..

I hope the Picolax is better and that the procedure goes well too.

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying. It certainly was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted and I could only manage the first litre. It also gave me horrible cramps in my stomach. I'm not too worried about the procedure as I will be sedated but it's the prep I'm worried about due to my bad experience with Moviprep. 

• Posted

Yes I had Picolax. It was fine - much easier though to drink it through a straw and then the taste doesn't linger in your mouth. 

Jan

• Posted

Thankyou for replying did you find yourself having to mix the Picolax with anything to help the taste or was it bearable on its own?
  • Posted

Hi I am having picolax rn I'm 14 and I have needed it 3 times it's is horrible and makes me want to threw it up but if I do it won't do the job it's meant to do Xx

• Posted

No it's not nice - none of the preps are!  But I prefer it to the other I was given, which wanted me to drink 3 litres of water with 2 doses.  Now that DID make me want to throw up!  Just think of it as a couple of days discomfort, then all over and done with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.