picolax v movieprep

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was a bit worried after reading the side effects of both of these especially the seizures, has anyone had or know anyone else who has had any seizures due to either picolax or movieprep? I am worried as I have a procedure due next week. Any early answer would be appreciated.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The picolax is the general prep required by my doc. It is tough on me all that fluid can be a long annoying and painful on the system. Yet it's only for a day or two. I have a colonoscopy every three years and never experienced convulsions,never knew that was a issue .  Have you asked your doc about a new prep I have read about easier on the system called Prepopik need a RX for it. I'm have heard many good things about it on this forum.

see more info online.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi

I've had two colonoscopies now using Picolax, the first colonoscopy prep went well, better than what I expected. The second however was a different story altogether. I had to call the paramedics out the night before the procedure. I started to get palpitations, feel really faint and dizzy, had cold sweats and shivering, my breathing was laboured, had chest pain and started to get numb, tingle type feelings over different parts of my body, but mainly upper body, it was quite scary. The whole episode lasted about 30 - 45 minutes from what I remember until it began to ease. The paramedic spent quite some time with me making sure I was ok, and after a lengthy conversation with a doctor it was felt this episode was due to a combination of things. The combined effects of not eating for so long, physical effects of the frequent toilet trips, being tired, having to change regular medication times and the fact that my health and fitness was generally worse than it was when I had my first colonoscopy, meant my body was worn out, had just had enough and just couldn't cope with anymore. After an hour the paramedic left and I was feeling ok, not great but better than I did. Within 10 minutes of them leaving I was fast asleep, probably what my body needed.

I know that is probably not what you wanted to hear, and for most the prep goes as smoothly as it can, as it will probably be for you. The only advice I can give is rest up as much as possible during the prep, take naps when you can, keep up your fluids, have some toilet wipes at the ready as well as some entertainment when on the toilet and stay as relaxed as you can, it's quite a strain on your body, but it doesn't last forever. I'd rather have known the worst case scenario beforehand, so I was ready for any eventuality.

I do hope it goes well for you, and you get the answers you want and need from your colonoscopy. All the best!

• Posted

Paul sorry that happened to you. It can be tough on our systems . 

Thanks for for sharing your experience will help many others to remind them that it's not always easy on our system. 

Personally I am not fond of the whole process. It Definately routines a couple of days. But worth it for preventative reasons. Just hate the process until it over again for another three years....

• Posted

Thanks for the kind words, I'm not a big fan of the colonoscopy process either hope, but the prep is by far a lot worse than the actual procedure in my opinion. Luckily my last colonoscopy went well, apparently my colon looked really healthy, no polyps, biopsies were taken looking for signs of IBD and they came back clear as well. The only things to note, which was typed up on my discharge sheet in big, bold letters were haemorrhoids. Fingers crossed they'll give me a fair few years break before I need another colonoscopy.

Just a small bowel MRI for me now to complete the investigation into IBD, which I'm also dreading, and delayed quite a bit already, because of having to drink that contrast solution beforehand, I hate having to ingest anything I'm not sure about, especially since my digestive system is so sensitive now.

• Posted

Paul,

you have every right to dislike drinking that contrast fluid. It’s just awful I can hardly swallow it let alone finish the whole amt . It is a awful feeling . 

I hope all goes well and you don’t have any further issues.

Very good the colonoscopy your went well. I’m due for another one and just absolutely dreading it just takes such a toll on me for days. I am going to try prepopik this time is not as much to drink and much easier on the whole system.

Sorry to hear you digestive system is sensitive. I hope you can get better with a clean diet and you improve soon! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.