PID Ongoing pain after treatment

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

So my story is kind of a long one... been suffering for about 2 months now and looking for anything that could help. Advice/ideas/sympathy all welcome.

It all started in April with a pain in my lower belly/pelvis which got worse over the course of 4 days. Worse when walking and certain movements. I didnt think much of it at first because I have ibs so I put it down to that but it was getting worse so I visited a gastroenterologist because i thought it had to do with my colon. He examined me and said he thinks it's a pelvic infection and put me on an antibiotic, metronidazole, but didnt refer me to a gyn. It seemed to work instantly, pain was almost gone in 2 days but after completing the treatment (1 week) pain came back slightly. Blood tests were normal so doctors didnt think there was an infection anymore. The gastroenterologist didn't seem to have an idea about where the pain was from because he made me have a sigmoidoscopy and stool test. All came back normal. But my pain was getting worse. I saw a gyn eventually who said it might have been pid but even if it was it went away with antibiotics because blood tests were not showing infection any longer. He basically put it down to stress.

Anyways, pain never really went away but one night it got so bad that I decided to go to the ER. Doctors did intravaginal us, x-ray, ct scan and blood tests and said everything came back normal so they blamed it on stress or ibs again and sent me home. However, when I went back to receiver my CT scan it read "enlarged and slightly abnormal left parametrium" or something like that. Went to a different gyn who finally diagnosed me with PID!! He said that the first antibiotic I took probably wasn't enough so the infection came back. He put me on 2 different antibiotics for a week and said I should be fine.

My problem is that I'm a day away from finishing this course of treatment and the pain is still there. 😭 It's different than the acute phase I'd say, so different from when i went to the doctor, as it was then quite localized in my lower left pelvis and hurt more when I moved. Now it feels more like a generalized period pain all over my pelvic area, particularly hurting around the hip bone and radiating to the back. But my period isn't due for another week.

I'm desperate to find a solution as this has been going on for 2 months now and I don't know what else to do if antibiotics won't work. Anyone with a similar experience or any ideas? Is it just chronic pain, maybe even post-infection muscular pain? Or is the infection still there??

Appreciate any support.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I am currently going through a similar situation. Was treated for a UTI for about 3 weeks or so and that didnt seem to get rid of the pain although it seemed to be slowly going away the burning pain right underneath my belly button was still there. Urinary frequency. When the UTI meds didnt seem to work I went to a GYN and they did an ultrasound that showed a bit of "free fluid on my right adnexa" or fallopian tube and a "hyrdosalpinx" or a little sac of fluid. So they treated me with a shot and doxycycline / metronidozole (flagyl) for 14 days. It seemed to get rid of the pain for about 4 days then it seemed to kind of come back bit by bit. I have another appt in a month but I'm worried that maybe the infection wasnt completely cleared or if its just scar tissue? I literally have the same questions and I do so much research to try to hear from someone else that has had the same experience and you're the first person I've found.

How is your pain now? Have you gotten any answers?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.