Pilan Break with Shattered Tibia Surgery, BIG TOE PAIN

Posted , 2 users are following.

I shattered my tibia and broke my ankle on Nov 6, 2016. Had external Fixation the following day, then surgery in Nov 18th with 3 plates and 18 screws to hold it all together. Pain where I would expect it to be has been absolutely great! The pain I experience is in my Big Toe! I also get a red color on the bottom of my foot from the cotton in the splint! This pain is constant. I take oxy 5mg with 325 of acetaminophen every 6 hrs as per Dr orders. My toe continues to hurt day after day and night after night. The toe is swollen all the time. Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, any remedy? I have never taken pills m entire life, and sticking to the 6 hour regiment seems way too far out... help!!!

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How elevated is your leg..it needs to be above heart level.

Are you removing the splint?

You may be allergic to some component of the splint.

Ice, are you constantly icing? Use the gel packs, large rectangle for the leg abd ankle, small rectangle for toe.

It sounds like theswelling is compresding the tibia nerve.

• Posted

I constantly have the leg and foot elevated.

I Don't do a lot of ice.

I will try icing a lot longer today.

Pain is isolated to the big toe...

• Posted

Oh and I have removed and had two new splints installed recently have caused a ton of issues. I now have a fiberglass splint which the top is removed so I have take it off when necessary.Only swelling I see if my ankle and that big toe. The toe is the only thing that ever hurts.
    • Posted

Been elevated for since November 18th! It feels like it's full of fluid or blood or something. Had ice on it today. Feels like when you hit your thumb with a hammer and it swells.

Ortho dr has no indication of an issues based on a x ray and CT Scan taken after surgery.

I think if by Monday it doesn't change, I need to find a doctor to check it out. Can't believe this is normal...

• Posted

I agree with you. You have tried everything...

Something could have gone wrong afyer the film taken just after surgery.

big, warm hug

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.