Pilates after inguinal hernia repair - any advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had surgery for the repair of a small inguinal hernia just over a month ago.  It was open, pure-tissue (no mesh) surgery.   My recovery has been proceeding fairly well, with fairly minimal discomfort, so I'm "cautiously optimistic" about continued progress.

I do notice at the end of each day, after walking and standing a fair amount, that I become more aware of some sensations (though it's not painful), and that the area is sensitive to clothes rubbing.   I'm assuming that's not unusual?

While I'm getting in and out of bed and up and down from sitting more easily, I still get some occasional twinges and pulls when I move in certain way. 

A question about exercise:  I don't want to compromise or risk damaging the repair, but I would like to start at some point, strengthening core muscles.    I'm considering getting some proper instruction in Pilates.   Certainly I'd ease into this.    I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about whether 4 1/2 weeks is too early, and also about the value of Pilates in general for strengthening and future hernia prevention.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Norton

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Norton

I am no expert but after I had c sections I was advised wait 6 months before exercise and 12 months before more vigorous exercise,plus no lifting for 6 months.  What I am saying is you are doing well do not compromise your healing It takes your body a long while to recover after surgery, from what you are saying your body is not fully recovered yet, and you will know when you are.  If you go to a fully qualified pilates teacher they will be able to lead you gently back into exercises suitable for you.  I teach ballet I am fully qualified and have trained in anatomy, and constantly update my knowledge and skills, I work with a pilates teacher who does the same.  Find the right teacher go privately at first, and when you are ready join a class, but I feel you will need personnel help to begin with.  My opinion is now is too soon, be cautious capitalise on where you have got too, you now have all the time in the world to get back to gentle exercise,  walking is tremendous exercise in the mean time.  Glad to hear about your op and good outcome.

• Posted

Its pure tissue repair so avoid lifting and putting pressure on Hernia area for 12 months. Reason is Body heals 75% in Six months and it takes 12 months for complete healing. Now as it is pure tissue so your Hernia a holding back by your tissue which has a strength but not as mesh. In pure tissue the biggest reason Hernia fails is patients do heavy activity quickly as tissues are not glued together with enough strength till 12 months so the sutures might not hold the tissue and Hernia will reccur.
  • Posted

Hi, can I ask where you had your non mesh repair done? Its so difficult to find someone who doesn't use mesh x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.