Piles cause anemia?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Short question. Had a pile for 4/5 years, no pain just bleeds when I go the loo, can this cause anemia through blood loss? Only a small amount lost but happens pretty much every day? I ask because I think I am anemic now.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's possible but very rare. You generally don't lose much blood, even if it looks bad, it just gets mixed in with the water and is deceiving.

• Posted

That's what I thought but it happens nearly every time and I go 2/3 times a day. Sometimes more, it's been their about 5 years now so I'm just concerned over time it could have slowly caused damage such as anemia?!

• Posted

Hi I'm new to this forum. Had a ligasure haemorrhoidectomy 5 days ago after being moved to the acute from the routine surgical list - had waited months for my op and my GP wrote to the hospital because of the heavy bleeding I'd been having. I'd started to get very tired, get lots of tongue ulcers and feel generally run down. One thing that helped me was taking regularly a naturally occurring liquid iron in little sachets (you can get it in most supermarkets ) worth a try if you have to wait a long time for your op. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, did this liquid iron improve your symptoms whilst you was waiting for your op?
    • Posted

Yes it certainly did. I was waiting almost a year because there was mix up in my initial referral to a surgeon. If it's ok to say it's called spatone and is not expensive.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I think that's the route I am going to go down with liquid iron. I'm hoping it is easy on my stomach too as I've had problems in the past taking iron, it was a few years ago though. Have you had any trouble taking it?

• Posted

Glad to say it seems to have no bad effects at all on stomach or bowel!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.