Pilon Fracture Non Union Tibia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, can anyone share there experience of having a non union pilon Fracture to their ankle. I’m 15 month on from my Surgery 2 plates lots of screws loads of Pysio and ankle classes yet still have the usual symptoms, I’m 124 day’s in on Exogen therapy and not seen any change.  Curious To know if there is anybody out there that’s going on gone through this type of injury. 

Thanks. D

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had my pilon 10/07/17. Was in exfix for 3 months, then boot for 2 months. Was still nonunion. Opted to have arthrodosis nail fusion done in April. I am still recovering from that nwb so far. Pilots are a long recovery
    • Posted

Thank James, a bone graft has been mentioned by my orthopaedic as the end game if Exogen doesn’t work, awaiting on the results of last fridays CT to compare last October CT to see if the Exogen therapy is showing positive changes, Thanks for your contribution. D
    • Posted

I used the exogen for a few months without it helping

I did have the graft during my fusion. Time will tell if it is a success

• Posted

Hi Daren I had an accessory navicular removal and advancement of PT tendon on 20.9.17 I have complete non union and am in lots of pain and struggling to walk. Due to the joys of our hideous NHS I am awaiting revision surgery and due to the damage more will need to be done. Non union I have learnt is not usual and it’s not anything we have done - more a case of bad luck and possibly surgical technique. Try to be positive and have lots of vitamin d k calcium and magnesium. The bone stimulator will help but they take time to do their work. Good luck. I understand your worries - I have never felt so miserable in all my life 
    • Posted

Thanks Alfie’s Mum, 

Your encouragement is well received.

I agree completely with the point on NHS, I’ve had a bit of a run around myself, felt I needed to do some chasing otherwise I’d be waiting around for appointments. 

I’m on the Vit D, they tested my blood 8 week ago for  deficiency I’m still waiting for the results, I decided just to take it all the same, also on the bone broth. Yes it’s cetainly life changing and it does take it toll on you, the pain the limping about and the frustration of it all can be overwhelming. We continue to hang in there. Thanks so much for your contribution. D

• Posted

I had a non united fibula left unoperated on from 1976! 10 years ago, after a lifetime of pain and hindered mobility (because the doctors said it was a non weight bearing bone so didnt matter) my ankle collapsed with severe arthritis and total degeneration. I had a replacement which lasted almost 10 years and have just had a fusion. Take it from me. Make sure it is right now. Dont be fooled into believing the fibula doesn't matter. Go back ...you should not still ge in so much pain.

• Posted

Thank you Jude,

So grateful for everyone’s contribution, I’m overwhelmed by the comments and others, I needed to hear it, thanks for your advise, I shall certainly take heed from your experience. Thank you once again. 

• Posted

I think on this forumn we understand the sheer physical and emitional discomfort and exhaustion with ankle injury / surgery. Every step hurts. It just wears you down. I wish you so much luck getting yours right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.