Pilonidal abscess surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I'm 26 years old and for the past 5 years I've suffered with what I was aware was called a pilonidal sinus, all I can say is I wish I had done something a lot sooner than what I did.

I had this open sinus that was everyday leaking out puss and blood which I was (somehow) coping with but whilst in the bath I felt a lump or something travel down my back and it landed just to the right of this sinus and it was incredibly painful and bruised the whole area.

So this was the time for me to say right something needs to be done.

I went to my GP who then looked at the area and instantly was on the phone to Bath RUH hospital getting me to go there the next day for an emergency operation to excise my sinus and incise this new lump that had appeared next to it. Which this operation was successful, they had kept the wound open so was being repacked every other day and surprisingly had no pain when repacking. BUT!! Just as I was close to being all healed up and back to normal, this lump that had appeared next to the sinus started to flair up again and progressed to start leaking out of the original sinus! ( I was absolutely gutted)

SO! At my six week follow up after the operation I shown the consultant this lump and he looked quite worried so once again he was on the phone to the hospital trying to get me into surgery again for the next day which is exactly what happened! They have now cut open this new lump, got everything out and cleaned it plus it's still an open wound so will also need repacking.

But what wasn't noticed on my first trip was that I had 10 very small pits going down towards my bottom and my consultant this time round has said he couldn't remove them in this operation but would have to do it after when this wound is all healed up.

That's my story so far, I just thought I would go through what I have been through to see if anyone else has been through similar.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I really feel for you, you have had terrible time! Have a check through this forum to read the story I put on for my son. He also had years of pain and ops. Thankfully now after the amazing Mr Carapeti at London Bridge hospital he is healed and fingers crossed long may it continue. It truly is a terrible disease, hope all goes well for you and that you heal completely in time .
  • Posted

Wow so sorry to hear. I have 2 sinus holes n infected as we speak. I have a concern did u get admitted to the hospital? And for how long?
    • Posted

Now going for my 3rd in the same year. Every time it’s been day surgery so was in and out pretty quick but had a few weeks to recover. My best advice is don’t wait to get it looked at get it done ASAP
  • Posted

Hey Marcus,  Hope that you are recovering well from the surgery.  My son has suffered from pilonidal disease for 6 1/2 years.  He has had 4 surgeries, 3 open excision and 1 closed excision.  I, as his mother, have been his primary caregiver through all of them.   These surgeries did not cure him though they actually made his issue worse because it is nearly impossible to heal wounds within the natal cleft - the butt crack.  He even went to professional wound care centers.  We finally decided to search for anyone in the united states who was an expert on pilonidal disease.  We found a surgeon in San Francisco, CA named Dr. Jeffrey Sternberg.  He did the 5th, and final surgery, on my son using a procedure called the cleft lift that has healed him completely.  I am on a mission to share that procedure with anyone suffering from pilonidal disease (it is not really a cyst but an abscess.)   You can get a lot of good, accurate information from his website at.  He is a professor at a medical school too so his website really seeks to teach people about the disease and the best surgical practices to cure it.  Good luck! 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.