pilonidal cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

My pilonidal cyst came back two months after the surgery. It burst open and started draining pus and blood like before but it is not as painful as it was last time. Will I have to keep getting surgeries every two months or will it eventually stop coming back?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi, I had surgery on mine 3 years ago and still it comes and goes. If the pain is severe I call my GP and they give me antibiotics, other than that I manage it at home but unfortunately I think we're stuck with them 😕

• Posted

no, I haven't had laser hair removal but to be honest i'm not a hairy girl and I do use other forms of hair removal. My doctor thought it was most likely fall of head hair was the cause but I've completely changed the way I handle my hair to try to get on top of the problem. I wash my hair separately and use a shower cap to prevent fall in the shower, i've stopped wearing my hair down and won't even drop it from the bun if i'm not dressed to minimise fall to my skin but still have flare ups every couple of months. I think i'm just stuck with it.

• Posted

Join the private facebook group ; 'Pilonidal Cyst Support Group' - I'm admin , answer the question to join and I'll accept .

See you there ~

• Posted

Hi. If the surgery is done right, and it is right surgery, recurrence is about 5-10%. My first surgery (excision with open healing) lasted about 3 years. I noticed another pilonidal at 3 years and immediately went back to doc. The second surgery was minor compared to the first. I am on year 4 since second surgery now.

• Posted

Hi I had 6 pilonidal sinuss back in the 1980s when I was a teenager all resulting in an op.I had a 30year gap and I had a sinus comeback in old scaring back in January 2018 treated with long course of antibiotics but didnt work and so I got referred by my g.p to the hospital to Plastics and ended up having an op in the October and it reacurred again before the wound healed to then have an op in January 2019 and by march I had another reacurrance as had part of wound not healing again.Had to have urgent mri to see if sinus tract had grown down to back passage which result showed it had and this could lead me to be incontinent with op.Got referred to general surgery and ended up with a colonoscopy to check and after had meeting with general and plastics that they said the mri had been read wrong and was just scaring.This meeting was in July a big delay.December 2019 I had my op and at the moment now 9werks since op I have been going to the hospital everyday for the last 5weeks to get wound checked and dressing as have 3small holes in wound.They are hoping I dont have a recurrance.I hate having pilondial sinus, so painful and depressing.I sometimes wonder if its hormonal as mine have appeared when hormones are sorting themselves out eg. teens and now menopause but no one can can tell me if this could be a link.Get better soon.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.