Pilonidal Sinus - HELP!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I had a Pilonidal sinus back 13 years ago and had 6 operations as it wouldn’t heal. The last op they did meant you could put your whole hand in it. It took 3 years or so  to heal and gave me hell! Now 10 days ago I had another op for a Pilonidal sinus and the surgeon didn’t really take much away, and didn’t pack it so 2 days later it had closed and the doctors weren’t happy, so back to the hospital to drain again. Came out with a 4.5cm long cut and a 4cm deep hole and was told to pack it everyday. Been packing daily with the nurses, and they decided they can’t see how it’s going to heal the way they have cut into it and thinks it over granulating. They called the surgeons and asked for them to look at it. Went in this morning to the most horrible guy who said he wasn’t sure why I was here as it was perfect and how nurses shouldn’t have a say as they know nothing! I explained the over granulating and he said it wasn’t so I asked for a second opinion. Finally got one and it was the guy who operated on me the second time and he said it is over granulating but it was fine and to stop packing it now and to let it heal over the top. I said the hole is still there and shouldn’t it heal from the bottom up and he said it’s nice and clean so for a less risk of getting an infection if it closes from the top then it can take however long it needs underneath.  I’m still to have it dressed and checked at the nurses but no packing. He said if it goes bad, then come back and we can operate again. Has anyone ever heard of doing this before???? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That sounds awful! I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of that! My son had a pilonidal sinus cut out last May. His surgeon does these almost exclusively and she does a procedure called a cleft lift. He was stitched up and they put a drain in that we emptied every night for a week. I have never heard of a hole being left. What area do you live in? We are in Cincinnati and I highly recommend his surgeon if you are close and want a third opinion from someone who seems to know more about what they are doing.
  • Posted

Listen to me and listen good. I have mastered treating my pilonidal cyst. Take a cap full of castor oil and tea tree oil. Warm it in microwave for about 20 seconds then apply. You can do more than a cap full if area is bigger. Then apply pure organic honey over it. These three things will continually suck out the water and bacteria in area til you are healed I promise! Hot baths before make it even better. Trust me this works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.