Pin removal (finger)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys,

I've recently had my finger pinned in 2 places as I had 3 fractures, a dislocation and a rotated finger (I like to do broken bones properly)

I had my finger pinned for 4 weeks, and had them removed 4 days ago. I was really surprised in how little movement I've had not only in the injured finger but in all 4 of my other fingers.

Once the pins came out the bruising and swelling spread all over my hand and really looks like someones gone at it with a hammer, my ring finger (the injured one) is twice the size of the same on the other, my middle finger is also slightly swollen.

I've started the physio exercises which I'm doing every 2 hours, my uninjured fingers are starting to become less stiff, I still can't get a fist but can use my other hand and put them in place without too much pain.

My injured finger is still just as fat, I'm attempting to stretch and curl it as the physio said but feel like it's getting no further, I'm slightly adding pressure with my good hand but feel like I'm going to snap it in 2 if I apply more than I am.

Does anyone have any advice, or had a similar injury/treatment, I'm hoping once the swelling goes down in the injured finger the joints will ease up a bit more, just unsure how long that can last?

Thanks for any advice!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Have patience. That was quite an injury and wont be right in an instant. Give it at least 4 weeks to start to feel /look any different. Its early days yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.