Pin removal from foot

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I had a bunion removed and a staple in my toe and pin in to hold bone by the end of my big toe and foot. This was 12 yrs ago and I have spent the last two yrs trying to get them to remove it as the pin is sticking out of my foot upwards and very painful with shoes. I have finally got the op go ahead for the end of May. Can anyone advice if I have the option to be put to sleep as I do not do pain very well like that even who the foot numbed, and how long recovery will be before I will be able to leave the house, as I have a four yr old and am at collage? Any advise is appreciated

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, my colleague is having her pin out today as we speak, 5 years after having it in. They didn't give her the option of having local, they said it wouldn't be very nice to have it without being under. She had a terrible reaction to the anaesthetic when she had her bunion done and really didn't want to be put under, but they didn't take that into account, I'm guessing it's not a nice experience! They said to her only a couple of days it will be sore, she's planning on being back to work on Friday, although we shall see! Will let you know what her recovery is! I'm having my bunion op in July, hope my pin doesn't end up like hers and yours! 
    • Posted

Hi. ThAnk you so much for your reply. I have my pre op in two weeks but I'm such an impatient person lol. I also wanted to no due to the little one and making plans if I can't get her to scl the following week myself. I hope everything goes smoothly for your friend though. From what I have read I don't think I would be happy being awake I would probably pass out even though I have had two children I couldn't see what was going on and new I was getting a life after all that pain lol. I am surprised she didn't have the option, but in a way it shows profession attitude from her consultant not to recommend it. Everyone is different so maybe her removed wasn't going to be as easy as some. I have been thinking that the longer it is in the harder it would be to remove as it would be sealed in well. Please do let me no how she is when all is done and wish her a speedy recovery. I am hoping it is a quick one for myself also.

I did have a very bad recovery after my bunion removal ( not to put you off but more of a heads up) if it is terrible agony after the pain relief has gone make sure they haven't done the bandage up two tight. I was kept in four days after as I was in terrible pain, and when they went to change the dressing before I left...... Low and behold my pain was because the bandage was on way too tight. Once they took it off the pain almost went straight away. I believe I should have had the pin out years ago but they kept fobbing me off, as I have had lots of trouble with it ie can't wear high heels ect only kitten. I think a lot of my pain is due to my pin, but I will defo update when it's removed for others to no.. Good luck with your op and thanks again.  

• Posted

Hi there, I have just heard from my friend, her op was ok, she had to wait around for hours as she was last on the list so didn't eat for like 20 hours haha! They cut a little bit of her previous scar then went sideways a bit, op went ok, they have signed her off for 3 weeks, but she thinks she will be back by then, currently in no pain from her foot as they put a local anaesthetic in as well so in a day or so I think it will wear off! She's in more pain from where her cannula was haha! Her toes and foot is slightly swollen, other than that nothing else to report, but she's not even 24 hours post op yet so will fill you in further along the line! 
    • Posted

Very glad all went ok and she didn't have bad reaction to the anesthetic. Wow 3 weeks!! I was thinking maybe a week maximum but then like you said she may be up and better before that. I think they allow extra days just in case. But at least I have some idea for recovery now. That's again for your reply and pls let me no how she is once pain relief wears off. Are they keeping her in over night or sending her home? 
    • Posted

Also very sorry to hear she had to starve that long omg I would be claiming the walls. And bless her about the other thing, I had that prob on a diff op very painful and sore hope that wears of for her soon x
    • Posted

She had the op at 5:30 and left the hospital at 9, again she had a bad reaction to anaesthetic so I think they left her in recovery longer just to make sure! Didn't keep her in or anything! Yeah I had that with an op I had, went in at 7am didn't eat from 9pm previous night, and didn't have my op until 2:30 that afternoon! All I wanted to do when I come round was to eat! I was so hungry!! 
    • Posted

OMG so she had another reaction to the anaesthetic poor woman. They didntnkeepmher in that long then after the op! Whenever I abe had day surgery they have done it quite early and I've gone home later afternoon. Well hope she has avoid and fast recovery. Wishing her well.
    • Posted

Hopefully so, although she has just come back from the doctors to find out that she has an infection in her hand from the cannula! She's running a high temp and is now on antibiotics for that! Bless her! I guess you wouldn't predict that! I think they try and rush you out now tbh, they don't want the beds filled really haha! And I expect that she wanted to go home! My last operation I went down at 2:30 and they were considering keeping me in because it was getting late,and it was only like 7! I guess every hospital is different! This is bournemouth I think she had xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.