Pinched nerve in hip, any advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had throbbing and tingling in my groin, glutes, hip and tightness in my thigh for a couple of months. Had a successful THR in 2018.

After tests to exclude any structural issues with the replacement hip, I am narrowing it down to a possible pinched nerve in my hip.

It's constant and really dehibilitating now. I am sleep deprived as it's worse at night & at rest.

Would love to hear from anyone who has experienced anything similar and any advice.

Thanks.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi heather54571, lyn32416,

Sorry I am a bit mixed up with the order of replies!

I'm going to see a new physio tomorrow and just hoping he can shed some light.

I am still convinced something is wrong with the hip replacement itself despite all the scans and tests coming back clear and two top hip surgeons telling me the hip replacement is fine.

I just cannot understand what would cause this sort of constant pain suddenly after 2 years of bliss. I was the biggest advocate for hip replacements before this as I had such a good result.

Fingers crossed for you both. Pain & worry is awful xxx

• Posted

Oh Jean I hope you can get some relief very quickly. I feel similar but Covid here has truly stuffed up our medical system. Consults are usually by phone. Physio is costly here so I must rely on the public system which effectively indicates most people have a great result for hip replacement and we do not know what to do with you.

For me, one day my pain is 4/10 then the next it is 8 or 9, like last night. I am hoping I will heal over time. All the best. xx

• Edited

Hi Lyn/Heather,

Thanks so much for your support. It is really appreciated.

I have been trying to stay off-line (apart from work) over the past couple of days because google is doing my head in and I keep coming across something that makes me panic even more.

I went to see a very experienced physio this week. He seems to think its tronchanteric bursitis because of the lateral hip and glute pain. I kept reminding him I have groin pain too which I think is being ignored in the mix. Also the fact that after 2 months of 'rest' it is getting worse not staying the same or easing.

I would be confident it was the right diagnosis if I didn't have groin pain and if I had some tenderness.

There doesn't appear to be any remedy for tronchanteric bursitis other than 'time' and 'injections'. But again, if it's 'time' why would it be getting worse not better at this point.

So all in all no tangible progress & I feel still in the dark.

xx

• Posted

Jean my physio said my scar was far too tight so I have been massaging it 3x a day and using the ANTI inflammatory cream made by Mentholatum every night on the scar and down outside of my thigh. I am doing clam shell exercises and leg and knee exercises which are from an App called Physi App which physiotherapists can supply exercises and track patients on. Can you ask your Physio for access? The exercises have helped me so much.xx

• Edited

Hi to you both. I am going to try the massage 3 x a day. I have said to them all, since week two that when my staples were taken out (the middle area of the wound) the nurse had a problem removing 4 of them, that is the area I have felt the unbearable tightness/soreness. The whole new hip area and groin have never got any better since the operation, the implant has always felt too big, and groin always feels really sore(I know that is a symptom too but after 5 months I would have hoped for more improvement and so did surgeon). If there was any improvement I would happily continue with all physio/walking/stretches/ice/rest etc knowing in time it will ease. The fact he was sitting shaking his head not knowing what to do next worried me. I have been to a chiropractor last month but not much improvement either apart from straightening up my pelivs. I have about 6 pages of different exercises to do from physio. She changes them every 6 weeks. She has cancelled this next appointment until I get the fluid test done. Who knows when that will be. I'm so glad for both your help and comments from the forum, as sometimes I feel like I am going mad. Covid restrictions don't help although I have had face to face appointments with consultant and physio all the way through lockdown which I am truly grateful for. We will get there xx

• Posted

Hi Jean and Heather

I typed out a reply and it disappeared. I have decided to do a little daily walking and continue with hydrotherapy. For me, rest may be key. I have to believe my pain will diminish!

Stay in touch if you have improvement or otherwise. All the best. Lyn

• Posted

Hi Lyn/Jean

I was at my consultant's today, 4 weeks since the cortisone and no improvement. He isn't sure why i'm still in pain so much with the groin/hip rubbing, grating and lack of proper mobility/sleep/discomfort. I'm now 5 months post op. I got bloods taken and he's going to take fluids from my hip to see if it's infected but is convinced it's not. This is done in Operating Theatre. Who knows when that will be. If they are clear he is then going to ask for a second opinion (his choice). Meanwhile I am left not sure what is wrong. I asked for a ct scan he said the x-ray is clear enough to see the hip is in place.

How are you ladies doing? Any improvement? I sure hope so. This is so draining. It's bad enough, but the time it takes to get these appointments makes everything worse. I am running on empty.....

take care x

• Posted

Hi Heather

I am sorry to hear you are still in pain etc.

So darn debilitating! I got to the stage that I would have done almost anything to get sleep! I started waking up at 2 a.m. and also started back on Codeine 30mg with Paracetamol 500mg x 2 after taking Mersyndol around 9pm.

I decided to seek out a Physio who gave me great relief post bilateral knee replacements, in 2016. I found her finally last week and had a session with her on Wednesday. She said my scar was too tight and gave me massage and ultrasound as well as 6 exercises to complete on a App called PhysiApp. It holds me accountable although some of the exercises I did find on youtube. My gait has improved and even though my pain has reduced by 50% I cannot sleep right through the night but I haven't felt as well as I do now since 2019. Can you find a good Physio? Mine has improved my life so much Heather.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.