Pinched Nerve in Neck

Posted , 4 users are following.

Through an MRI that was done wrongly on the upper part of spine it appears that my husband has a pinched nerve in his neck.  Has anyone had this and if so what were the symptoms and if you have had an op what was it like, did it work.  My husband has lower spinal problems but his spine surgeon for the lower back has signed him off saying nothing else they can do, but we don't know if his extreme pain is from this possible pinched nerve in the neck or from his lower spinal problems.  He gets pain and numbness and pins and needles in his arms, legs, feet, groin and hands.  Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have done acupuncture on and off for years and if it were me, I'd check into acupuncture for the nerve issue.   I deal with a lot of body wide OA and am forever doing alternative works for my issues....  There are some really good knowledgeable acupuncturists out there, all over the world for that matter.   Joy 76 US

Often too a chiro could do some gentle work on the nerve issue....surgery in my mind should be LAST OPTION/RESORT.    

• Posted

Hi

I have cervical spondylosis with pain/numbness/pins and needles in one hand mostly, and between elbow and pinky.  Middle finger has dropped and pinky has raised so I can't straighten hand, and power is variable.  Others with C/S also get leg and foot issues, but I think groin area is uncommon.  Some have bowel and bladder control issues as well.  Any issues below lumbar region could be either neck or lumbar threatened or trapped nerve.  EMG tests and MRI tests should confirm.  Surgery is usually only advised if these tests can identify the exact vertebrae where nerve is compromised.  If there is extensive deterioration of spine,  they might refuse surgery, because it is too difficult to predict outcomes. I've been offered surgery (3 years ago)  but I opted for a wait and see approach, which has been good because symptoms seem to change anyway, sometimes for the better.  I still have an open appointment for surgery if ever things deteriorate,  meaning I don't have to go through the testing again,  and I'm fairly optimistic that with good self management, and no excessive therapies,  I can cope reasonably well.

Hope you find this useful.

Gerry 

• Posted

Hi,my hubby had a pinched nerve in his neck after a car accident .He had pins & needles down his arm.Our GP manipulated his neck and freed it.Don't let him have surgery,try manipulation/physio route first.
  • Posted

Forgot to say,pins & needles in foot,leg & groin / numbness is most likely due to lower back problem.Is his spinal surgeon aware of these symptoms ?Numbness should not be ignored if in buttocks as could be Cauda Equina very serious .My hubby had it & it was the start of all his problems.See your GP sooner rather than later.Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.