Pinky finger mystery: red, swollen, itchy area migrating down finger

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 3 months ago I developed a little bump on the distal phalange of my left pinky finger. It was red and itchy, and seemed like a bug bite. It spread to my entire distal phalange on that finger. It was pretty swollen, red, tissue was indurated, and occasionally extremely itchy. It was only present on the anterior side (palm side) of my finger. Went to a doctor and he said it could be an infection (though its not noticeably warm) so he put me on antibiotics but they didn't help. The effected area moved down my finger (slowly) and then was on the middle phalange and then eventually the proximal phalange, staying only on the palm-side of my finger (and by 'moved' I mean migrated, not spread. like as it moved down, the top cleared up). I went to a dermatologist and also my primary doctor and they suggested contact dermatitis/eczema. They suggested it may be from playing tennis but I don't find that very probable and I've been watching any actions/what I come in contact with and I haven't found anything that could have irritated it or caused it. They gave me steroid ointment to help with the itching. It has now moved to my palm about an inch down from where the finger meets the palm. It stills has the same characteristics: red, indurated tissue, a bit swollen, itchy. Seems to be a little worse in the mornings. I don't remember getting any cuts or anything of that sort on my finger. It is localized to that location, and none of my friends/family have gotten it.

Thanks so much for your help!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Addie, I just wondered if you had an update on your post above as I have had exactly the same thing and treatment but for my toes. I still don't know what it is, just wondered if you sorted yours. 
  • Posted

I am having similar problem re little finger...started last evening-desperately itchy , warmer than other fingers, red and swollen...
  • Posted

Im having that problem right now. I swear it itches so bad!! im nibbling on my finger because its bad 😂😖😖😖😖 I got fast itch relief but its NOTT WORKINGGGG😑😖😂 ugh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.