Pins and needles

Posted , 19 users are following.

Just a quickie, I'm due to have a 2 level ACDF in March. Most of my symptons/pain have been in my left shoulder, arm and hand, along with headaches and shivers. However, just lately I have been getting pins and needles, which wake me at night, in my right hand.

Do you think this is significant or just more of the same?

Sandra

1 like, 283 replies

283 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Jess,

thanks for the reply and no worries, takes alot to worry me and nothing wrong with the truth :-)

Had an MRI with contrast last week and that is when they spotted it had relapsed, but they didnt seem worried, am going for the root injections next week.

I know what u r saying about bugging until they see u but thankfully, as I went private ( bit of a long story ) Im sure when I call them, they will tell me to come down just to be on the safe side.

Sorry if I sound like I am now brushing it off, Im really not, just not impressed with NHS and have had no probs with the hopsital or surgeon I am now under.

hopefully they will look again at the MRIs and just ensure I have nothing extra to worry about BUT I will call them to make sure and thank u once again for your reply :-)

Sorry to hear what u have been through and I do hope it all sorts itself for the best.....

Russ x

• Posted

Hi Russ

I really am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. It does sound similar to what I experienced before I was hospitalised (the reason for which was because the pain was so bad I couldn't pass water, sorry TMI).

The pain was not in my back but from my buttock, down the back of my thigh and calf and down to my foot.

Russ, I know I sound like a broken record with this medication, but seriously I would ask them to put you on Gabapentin, it's just brilliant. Yes I do feel muzzy headed sometimes but that's the only side effect for me and the doc at the hospital said I could drive with them (if only my numb leg/foot would let me).

As you know mine's a L5/S1 prolapse (sequestrated, worst kind so I found out) but I only need to take these tablets to manage the pain - and believe me, you know what I mean when I use the word excruciating like you. I'm on 1200mg per day and you can take up to 1800mg. It's safe cos it's what epileptics take for their condition every day of their lives.

At least that way you will get some pain management/relief until either your prolapse eases or an alternative solution is reached.

Massive hugs Russ, keep on being your lovely positive self :D :D

Love

Jude xxx

• Posted

Jess everything crossed for you that your consultant calls you and something is done quickly. Big hugs

Love

Jude xxx

• Posted

Hi Russ,

I have the same thing as you, although I am yet to have an op... I thought it had cleared up and gone away (so it was decided to hold off from having an op), but it has come back worse this time. I am hoping that it will ease again, but who knows???

It can affect different parts of the leg as the prolapsed disc nudges the nerve endings which serve all parts of your leg. The fact that it is affecting a different part of your leg doesnt mean it is any more serious than before, just that the disc has prolapsed in a slightly different way and is now nudging against a different nerve, eg the one affecting the lower leg rather than higher up.

I also had excruciating pain which I am hoping will not come back, so I am very sympathetic.....

Hang in there..... Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply, and its only when its put in words like that, that it makes any sense, even though it should be obvious....

Ive been pain free since the op but then a couple of weeks back it started to \"play up\" again.... the injections and the op dont bother me, having been there seen it and done it I know the op is worth having if it comes to it, I have no worries there.

Once again, thanks for the reply, hopefully the injections will help this time round but will keep all informed

Cheers

Russ

• Posted

Hey Jude

Thankfully the only pain I have is in my back and leg, when it starts messing around witht he rest of my body then I might begin to worry more :? and in all the time, it doesnt appear to have hurt in my foot or my backside, not that Im complaining....

As for sounding like a broken record about the meds, NEVER, I think its me that is forever going on, no one else... and my only prob is I dont want to get reliable onto too many drugs, I have cut out everything but Cocodamol and even those I dont really want to take but find I have too though not sure they even help now, they are not that great anymore, but I do have the nerve root injections to look forward to starting next Tuesday so hopefully they will work and I wont need any more meds.

IF however, that doesnt help, I will be straight back to my doc for something stronger if need be, and thats a POSITIVE :wink:

Love and big bear hug ( hmmm not a good idea :twisted: )

Russ x

• Posted

Hi Russ,

Really, really sorry to hear the pain has worsened...from what I can remember with my situation, the pain went from my buttock all the way down to my foot, felt like a really bad chinese burn and that was when on the Morphine...lol. I agree with what Tom says, in as much as it's probably pressing on a slightly different area hence the pain being felt slightly differently, also it could be that there is still some confusion in how the nerve translates sensation as it takes months for it to all settle down from the original op. Would it be worth trying a Tens machine until Tuesday? It may help with the pain...hopefully the injections will be successful tho and from Tuesday you will have some relief...how many injections are you having?

Take care, and stay positive,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

hi russ

sorry to hear of your pain again,im wincing at the thought of THAT pain again, may be a silly question but didnt the surgeon take the offending disc out? ok so sometimes removing just the bit thats causing the pain may be enough for some people and they never get the pain again, but my thinking is what a waste of money! just take the blinking thing away completely then there should be no more problems , or am i being a bit niave about disc surgery. thinking back no wonder you were still in pain when the rest of us were recovering. tuesdays not too far off now and hopfully some relief for you fingers crossed eh, my best wishes. gail

• Posted

Hi all

I appologise for all my moaning but at present I just cant stop crying.

GP saw me 3 days ago - tramacet for pain as mentioned. Any probs call back.

Called back a day later as son jumped on me and back went badly. Sciatic nerve back full force and in agony. Can hardly move. GP gave urgent meds of diazapam.

Thursday at 10am spoke to my physio. She worried as can hardly move and said to contact consultant urgently.

Called them and they said they'd leave message. No call back.

Friday in agony. Called again - he'll call you at dinner.

3pm still no call so called back.

Can you beleive this? The secretary talked to me like a child, her attitude stank and when I told her the seriousness of the last few weeks she said

'we are not A&E you will not be seen here!'

Spoke to GP again who tried top contact them, no luck.

Local A&E said they cant do anything as Walton are looking after me.

Walton wont see me.

Do I have to become paralised again for anyone to take notice? This happened twice before and if happens again it could be for good.

My parents have even tried to contact them with no joy. Why when I left the other week did Walton tell me to contact them if I went bad again :?:

I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!

Frustrated, crying and scared.

Jessica. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Posted

Hi Jess,

This is just so awful sad

If it were me..I would go to A&E as your pain needs to be dealt with. I would then let them( A&E) deal with Walton as you should not be caught in the middle of who treats you...they need to deal with this. At the end of the day, you are in terrible pain, you have tried all you can to seek help, so the fact that it has become an out of hours emergency is not your fault. If you have any copies of discharge letters take these with you. If you had been listened to in the first place this wouldn't have happened. Wishing you all the best and I hope you get it sorted ASAP smile

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

Hi Jess,

Poor you, :cry: you're really having a tough time of it. Did you end up going to AE? I hope that they've sorted out you pain, I know how you're feeling, I've had problems in the past too.

Take care and keep us posted.

Keep your chin up I know it's hard to do but everything will be ok in the end, bye for now.

Angela

• Posted

Hi Jess

I can't believe they've treated you so disgustingly, it makes my blood boil that they would leave you in so much agony. Lots of hugs to you for what you're going through. I would be in floods of tears too (and I was) sad sad

I agree with Jules, I would get yourself off to A&E, the least they can do is give you some morphine. This is exactly what I did and ended up being hospitalised because literally when I tried to pee, I couldn't as the pain just took over. I was cathaterised and they kept me in. I don't know how you are with your water works but I can bet that it's a struggle - they HAVE to do something if things have got so bad.

I really hope you can get things sorted, surely someone in A&E will listen and help.

Big hugs

Love

Jude xxxx

• Posted

Hi Russ,

I feel for you, the thought of having that pain again makes me go cold. :cry: I've just had my 2nd op 2.1.08 and I suffered with Sciatica straight afterwards, but it eased after my Doctor put my Morphine Patches up from 5mg to 10mg. They told me that because they've been inside your back moving nerves and things about to do the Op, it takes some time for the Nerves to go back to normal. I don't know if this is what's happening to you. If I was you I would go back to you GP and ask if this is normal and why it's just started to happen after several months post op.

Speak to your Consultant when you go in for the Nerve Root Block on Tuesday, tell them what's been happening to you. Hopefully the Block will get rid of your pain, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Bye for now.

Angela

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I cannot believe how these people seem to get away with speaking to us like some kind of idiot. I'm sure that we would all be treated totally different if the people treating us had suffered in someway with Back/Neck pain, I bet the waiting times would be halved. Why can't they phone you back when they say they will, do they think that you're doing this for the fun of it.

Why don't you just turn up at the Walton then they can see how much pain you are in. Don't leave until someone has seen you, if all else fails go to your local A&E and tell them that you're suffering with paralasis and that the Consultant dealing with you will not see you.

It's an absolute disgrace :x that you've been treated the way you have. I hope that you get sorted out very soon. Take care, best wishes.

Angela

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I can so relate to this. KCH tried to fob me off onto my local A&E in December during a crisis after my first surgery. They just weren't interested. Just a blank wall, even though my problems were obviously linked to the surgery and they had discharged me just days earlier. In the end I had no choice but to go to my local A&E, but there none of the doctors and nurses could understand why I was told to go there by the Senior Neurosciences NUrse at KCH. after 12+ hours on a trolley in A&E, in agony, I was moved to KCH and then after another 3 hours in their A&E, put back on the ward. When I got very ill after I was discharged the second time, I rang KCH again, the bleep number I had been given wasn't answered at all and the ward again tried to fob me off onto my local A&E. But I had seen all this s**t before. Instead, I went straight to the KCH A&E.

I don't know why the hospitals do this......basically they are happy just to dump the patient onto the local A&E, but they don't do neurosurgery, so can't help. If Walton Neuro have any sort of A&E or emergency department, I would just go straight there. I don't understand though why your local A&E wouldn't call them and arrange for you to be sent back.

You need to be seen and soon. If the symptoms haven't settled after your son jumped on you, then you need help. It is quite disgraceful that nobody will help you. The last thing you need when you are scared and in a lot of pain, is a fight and a row with the hospital. After care sux!!!

I so hope that they sort this out soon.

Best wishes

TFU

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.