Pins and needles

Posted , 19 users are following.

Just a quickie, I'm due to have a 2 level ACDF in March. Most of my symptons/pain have been in my left shoulder, arm and hand, along with headaches and shivers. However, just lately I have been getting pins and needles, which wake me at night, in my right hand.

Do you think this is significant or just more of the same?

Sandra

1 like, 283 replies

283 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Gail

Well done on giving up fags ten years ago now, people ask me if I feel any better, I can only say I dont know as its not like I can run or do anything strenuous to see how it all feels ;-) typical really but I dont mind

No real result yet from the injection, still had some pain this morning but as my wife reminded me, Ionly had it late on Tuesday and they say it should and could ( and last tiem DID ) take between 7 - 10 days to really kick in so Im trusting it will start soon or I go for my next one in nine days time....oh joy of joys :-)

Will keep u updated if it gets better, worse or no different

Catch ya soon

NO REGRETS RUSS x

• Posted

hi darren, i have pm'd you sweet, k, :D

:rose:mandy :rose:

• Posted

sorry hi everyone!, xx, :D jules an' all, xx,

i still not had me op!!! ggrr!!!! me bloods keep comin' back wrong!! so at the mo i am classed unfit!! me i'd class meself as, in :bleep: awful pain!! :steam: so i not on much, i lay down most of me day, soooooooo borin'!! hope you all well an' not in too much pain, :cry: xx

tfu, can i just ask how you knew i was goin in march??, its just puzzlin' me isall, cos i didn't no till feb!! are you secretly my consultant?? he he only jokin'! :lol: but that one been canceled now!! ggrr!!! hope your well, i not read much to catch up on here, so i dont know how you are, but i hope things have turned out ok,

c ya all, xxx

:rose:mandy:rose:

• Posted

hi mandy,

no i don't have a crystal ball!!! I wish!!!! No, I just have a memory for odd information. I can remember ages ago you saying that you wasn't in a hurry to get the surgery......because you had waited so long, you were CHOOSING to leave it for a few months. If I remember correctly, you were moving, so putting it off until March?????

I can remember when it looked like you were going to be in about the same time as me. I ended up going in three times and having two ops cos they f**ked up the first one. What more can I say. If you read back through the old stuff you'll see what happened.

Not surprised, KCH has messd up your bloods. Nothing about that place surprises me anymore.

Apart from KCH driving you up the wall, are you okay. I hope you are not in too much pain these days.

Best wishes

TFU

• Posted

hi tfu, thanx for that, keep thinkin' i crackin' up!! well i still think i am!! yup, they say maybe may now!! cos i classed as unfit!! hmmm... they said i had to be done in jan to keep with goverment guide lines or something, then me bloods came back with problems in, said it was gonna be march 16th, done more bloods, still not good, canceled march, had more bloods, get result this friday, but they sayin may they think, ggrr!!! stallin' maybe dont know , i do know i flippin' fed up!!! an' in loads of pain!!! i have read some of you posts, that i replied to, i will come on one day an' catch up with everyone, cant sit for long!! an' still tryin' to pack for movin'!!!take care hun, an' i'll catch up with ya soon, xx

mandy x

• Posted

Hi Mandy,

I'm sorry KCH are giving you so much grief. I think your problem with them not being in a hurry any more is because you declined the January date for surgery. Because of that, whenever the surgery happens, you won't be a bad statistic to the NHS now. And that my friend is all they care about!!!!! Sad but true.

The position with the bloods must be so frustrating. And it's not as if KCH is just around the corner from you, is it!!! Should I trot in and do it for you, would that help??????? They seem to like my blood, they've had loads. They like operating on me too!! In fact it seems that they just can't get enough of me. I am due to go back for another MRI scan very shortly. HOPEFULLY NO MORE SURGERY!!!!!!

Keep gritting those teeth sweetie!!!!

TFU

• Posted

hello everyone

hope you are all doing well or just having an easier day.

this is an update from my hospital bed.

Thursday last week, i underwent my 3rd spinal op.

This time at local hospital and on friday i found out what happened.

I had 4 discs prolapsed in lumber spine not 2!!!!!! and 1 above lumber was very loose. Oh god!!

Surgeon said he had prformed a fusion of lower spine (8 inches long scar)

microdisectomies and major clean up. 5 hour op.

I was catheterised and connected to drips, and spinal drain. looked and felt bad. Pain was unreal. Legs were....well...i havent got the words for that kind of pain. :x :shock: :? sad :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil:

Staff etc here are excellant and explain in detail everyytthing.

Im now sort of walking, sitting for a little etc. Im on large doses of oxinorm, oxicontin, pregabalin, paracetamol, diclofenac,etc. I had all tubes removed on saturday they say i am doing well. :D

I have one problem due to severe nerve damage of siatic nerve. he whole of my right leg is, at present, no good. Was told it may never be. efered to OT, physio, cronic pain etc. Wont be out of here for awhile. :roll:

Goodday, week to you all.

Love Jessica in recovery.

xxxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Jessica

I've been thinking about you.

Sounds like you went for the complete rebuild!!! As you say you are now in recovery and whether that comes quickly or slowly, it will come. Hopefully the staff will let you take things at your own speed and direction.

You are very courageous.

Any idea how long you will be in for????

TFU

• Posted

Hey Jess

Really dont know what to say...no words can explain what Im trying to say cept I hope they take extra care of u coz u are special....

Cannot even begin to think what u must be feeling or thinking or even going through but just know I really really hope they have sorted it all out for you and hope that u have a speedy recovery and know we are all thinking of u.

Keep us posted as and when u can, and just lookforward to the post when u say all is well and u r home.....

Take care and thinking of u

Russ x

• Posted

hi

jess

you are truly amazing

to go through all of this and still keep the forum updated from your hospital bed

best wishes for a speedy recovery

• Posted

thank you for your thoughts and wishes.:oops:

I have no idea how long i'm in for. They are trying various doses of tablets to regulate the pain, I cant use sinks or loos etc at standard height (i'm tall and cant bend.) so also waiting on the OTs.

Anyone had any experience of OT help?

PSI dont feel courageous etc - you would change it to a wuss pot if you saw me - one minute smiling, next crying for england :roll:

nyway speak 2 u all soon, got studying to do, and essay due 11th!!!! fancy having to do this in hospital!

Jess

xxxxxxx

• Posted

hi Russ

I have been one week and one day without fags now and AM I BOVVERD?? nope. cold turkey and hospital.

Well done to you, and anyone else who's packed em in.

hey, I'm keeping fingers crossed the injection works. Its good having a supportive partner or network too. Just a shame we cant do much at moment to help them in return.

Keep positive.

TTFN

Jess

[/url]

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

You are courageous, believe me. And you are doing an essay in hospital?????!!!!! And you are out of bed already and at the sink!!!!!! I take my hat off to you, I really do.

I have no experience of OT, but I do have experience of being very tall. I am 5'11'' which is very tall for a woman of my age (48), some younger girls are getting to 6' + now, which is good for me as having had years and years of being the tallest wherever I went, now I can sometimes look at them instead of having people look at me!!!

I read ages ago that tall people were most likely to develop disc problems. Also, rather oddly, people who have their second toe longer than their big toe. I tick both boxes. Maybe we should have a straw poll here to test out the theory. How tall are you Jess??? Anyone else???

I hope you have a good day today. Remember, every day there is a day closer to going home!!!

Best wishes

TFU

• Posted

Hi Jess,

I am 4 weeks post op from a posterial 2 level spinal fusion and like you experienced some good care wilst in hospital.

The OT pepole came round the same day as I was admitted and I had to take measurments with me of the height of the toilets, height of the bed and sofa and width of the bath, they then organised a company to visit my house whilst I was in hospital to fit two extended toilet seats and a bath board, thankfully my bed was ok and I was told to sit on a dining room chair. They also gave me a grabber stick and an extended shoe horn.

I still have all these in place. Before I left hospital they taught me how to sit on the toilet and use the bath board, and how to get in and out of bed using the log roll method, I also had to climb the stairs one step at a time.

All I can say is, at the time it is hard because you are sore but I know now why they encourage you to move, also straight after the op I couldn't move myself but within a day I made myself do it as you know how much pain to expect, when people turn you they don't know how far to go.

I found all my care brilliant, I am still using the aids at home as I have not mastered the art of standing for a shower in the bath, but start physion on the 17th March ans see the consultant on the 20th.

Hope this has been abit helpful, good luck with your essay and take it easy and each day as it comes.

Raindrop

• Posted

Hey Jess

Well done you on your one week and one day :lol: dirty dirty habit hehehe

Having read your latest messages I am just in awe of u, and I read u have an essay to do and some studying too....guess u r keeping yourself busy then

Seriously I think you are a a star :magic: , I really do and hopefully others will see whilst this op works differently for different people, we are all, in one way or another, a very positive and supportive group.

Am gonna post this on your message too, just so I know u see it

Dont study too hard :-)

Russ x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.