pins and needles

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys...just want to know can you get pins and needles without hyperventilatin..or is it gbs because ive been reading about gbs and now im terrified..pls help...im on prozac tablets from doctor aswell..maybe its a side effect? I started two days ago...ive pretty much convinced myself i have gbs...pls help...and also this is my 3rd time writing here sorry if ive been annoying but im terrified...x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Just try to stay as calm as you possibly can Rachel46144. I know this is easier said than done. However, you might be slightly hyperventilating without realising you are. I sometimes get the tingles just before a panic attack and that tells me I need to try and distract myself, calm down or remove myself from the situation I dont wish to get into. I am not sure about the side  effects of Prozac but it seems a possibility that could be the cause.  Did your GP give you any information as to how you might feel in the early  days? Anxiety and panic are clever at making ypu think you have something far worse. Our brains go into overdrive and conjour up numerous scenarios. Have you anyone to help you out? Try to tell yourself that you are still able to text a message on here and in spite of everything you are still here. 

Trust me, you are going to be just fine. This will pass, and hopefully your medication will help you get through this,  but it might be a little while before you turn that corner. I hope this helps you a little?x

• Posted

Thanks sue...i just feel from the symptoms ove read on the internet about this guilainn barre syndromme...im just so terrified abd scared of becoming paralysed..and i already feel numb....i have actually convinced myself i have this sickness because my have constant pins and needles...the doctor never said abt the side effects no....but the pins and needles did start the day after i started...i just dont know what to do..xo
    • Posted

Hi anxiety,s a pig eh? Can I suggest you read the patient leaflet with the pills? It's maybe a known side effect. If not have a word with your chemist or doc. Hope it settles down for you. 
    • Posted

Did you have any tests done to determine what might be causing you to feel like you do? And, of course, just like yourself I  have resorted to Dr Google and given myself a panic attack over thinking what I might really have.  I try not to do it now. The reason we do it is  because  we dont believe  that it is anxiety causing  us to feel so awful, but it is and it does! If you are not satisfied with the Prozac and you feel it is making you worse, go back to your GP. I was prescribed Sertraline. That made me feel awful. I have since stopped taking it and have been referred for counselling.  Our brains are powerful and if we start to overthink about symptoms then we can really convince ourselves that is what we have. I do hope you can try and distract yourself as i know how scary  one can become when in this mindset. Have you someone that can support you at home?x 
    • Posted

I didnt feel these symptoms really untill had researched on internet...ive just myself really convinced and i dont know how to unconvince myself...i have had blood tests done and my reflexs are working perfect...at home my mum is great xo
    • Posted

If our brains are so powerful that they can work against us by creating all the horrible symtoms related to anxiety then they must be powerful enough to work FOR us too! Different thinking required! I don't know how to do it. Just saying really. 
    • Posted

hi rachael. it might be worth having your vitamin b12 levels checked. pins & needles, anxiety and panic attcaks are some of the symptoms.

Caitlin

• Posted

Hi Rachael, doesn't it seem a bit of a clue that the pins and needles started the day after you started  the Prozac. When starting anti-depressants you often get a few weird symptoms in the first weeks as your body adjusts to the drug and it could well be this. I would go back to your doctor and ask him/her. Something most sufferers have learnt on this forum is never google symptoms. Anxiety has a field day with it! Also reading the side-effects on the medication leaflet can be a problem as the manufacturers always cover themselves for being sued by listing every remotely possible thing from pimples to sudden death! This can also be an anxious experience, for no reason. Pins and needles are a fairly common symptom of anxiety as you can hyperventilate without noticing and, as you are anxious, this would be the most obvious reason, but check with your GP. By the way, it doesn't matter how often you post on here, you are not annoying. I think most people on this forum have compassion and understanding for how terrifying anxiety can get at times but remember that, no matter how scary it gets, anxiety is not dangerous and cannot harm you in any way.
    • Posted

Tgank u...;( i cant stip crying and i was vomuting also i have no appetite
    • Posted

I'm sorry you are having these symptoms but they are also symptoms of anxiety. No harm will come to you. You are not going mad and you will not die. This is just what anxiety does to you. It is very uncomfortable but not dangerous. You will be alright. Nothing is going to happen to you. Can you get a friend to come over or talk on the phone to someone or failing that phone a helpline like Anxiety UK or No Panic or Samaritans. They may be able to help you calm down. Even if you do nothing, you will still be OK, but I know it's tough. Big hug xx
    • Posted

Hi,these symptoms are side effects of medications.I had same symptoms when I started  Citalopram .I was ill for about 3 weeks.I lost my appetite too.Don't worry you will be fine,the side effects will go away
    • Posted

Wel i have my mum and my family they are great...im just so scared of that sickness i found..thank u xx
    • Posted

Thanks cristina...can u get numbness even two days aftet taking ? Does it happen in all anxiety meds ?
    • Posted

Yes all med for anxiety have similar side effects.I start taking cit for 4 weeks still have some side effects but not too bad .First 2-3 weeks I had realy bad symptoms .Maybe your med won't give too many side effects,anyway take few weeks for med to work, so you have to be patient.
    • Posted

I just keep thinking its gbs im so terrified tgat im actually feeling sick with worry like i could throw up xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.