Pins and needles all over body, numb legs & back pain!!

Posted , 27 users are following.

Please help? - It all started 2 weeks ago, sat watching TV with a sudden bout of pins and needles in my right arm, this quickly progressed to my whole right side, after calling 111  they sent out a ambulance for suspect stroke - after tests this was not the case. 

Next day i had P&N all over my body in different places, followed by numb aching legs and headaches 2 days after that, now most days i have pind and needles in my arms, hands & legs and the odd day I suffer with really heavy weak & numb legs that lasts about a day at a time then goes?

I have also been suffering with severe back pain in upper and lower back - seen the doc who has run bloodtests but all came back fine?? she is now stumped!!??

I have now been booked in to see a Neurologist in a weeks time but this is driving me crazy with worry as have a wife and 3 very young children to support as well as being self employed - anyone with similar symptons or help?

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello there,

I submitted a post previously with links to more info so it got deleted so I will keep this one short. Firstly I am NOT a doctor or neurologist but I work as a social worker for Leeds City Council (great authority) in adults services and so I come across some very sick people with a very wide and ranging set of ailments/symptoms/diagnoses and I would firstly like to state the obvious that the body is a very complex organism that we are yet to fully understand.

Secondly, it is really important for all those that read this post in the future to know that 'pins and needles' are not a condition in itself but rather a symptom of something else going wrong in your body.

Thirdly, identifying the actual problem is easier done than said which means lots of blood test, scans and examinations. Having worked alongside hospital doctors I can honestly say that for such subtle problems unless the body indicates the specific area of the problem (e.g. using pain receptors/blood clot/bone sticking out) then the doctors simply use an approach called 'diagnosis by the process of elimination' (i.e. they try to find out what it isn't and try to find a default condition/problem). I have personally support people with 'pins and needles' some have had broken hip bones, some have had MS, some have had trapped nerves in their lower back and some have just been deficient of vitamin D and whenever it's a cloudy day the 'pins and needles' come back something rotten.

Fourthly, as with any illness or disease you might not be able to address the root problem straight away and so be open to using symptom control methods (e.g. acupuncture, water fasting, pain relief medication, vitamin supplements, swimming to keep fit (you get less pins and needles in water), counselling/therapy etc...).

• Posted

Muhammed,

Just wanted to thank you for this thoughtful reply. I have pins and needles (no numbness) on my face, arms, hands and only sometimes legs or feet and the doctor doesnt know what it is. My blood tests are all fine apart from low ferritin for which I am taking iron tablets and suitable foods. 

Anyway, my point is that I am seeing a physiotherapist soon for a mild chronic pain at the top of my left leg and I keep having the suspicion that I have some inflammation at the base of my spine. I have also felt that I am worse when indoors and not outside. At the back of my mind have been thinking hip problem, trapped nerve and vitamin D problem and when I read your personal observations they were very similar.

So what ever it turns out to be, just wanted to say thank you for a little more insight than my doctor was able to give.

• Posted

Hi Phil ask doctor to check to see you don't suffer from MS multiple sclerosis

• Posted

Hi I recently started getting the same numbness and pins and needles all over my body I was just wondering have you been told what it is has yet
  • Posted

HI Phil! I have had bad back and neck issues for the last two years that have started to clear up now however I am getting pins and needles too all over my body including my face, back, legs and arms! My doc has sent me back to my nuerologist too but I have not had the appt yet! Would like some more insight too as it scares me and praying it's nothibg severe as I have had all mri and scans over the last two years and all has came back normal! I also see an osteopath, Accupunture, massage and naturopath!

• Posted

my husband over the past five years has been going to the doctors over and over again he has had mri's cat scans and they injectednsome kinda dye in his to wear his insides would light up and nothing. he is suffering cronic back pain in his lower back his feet are ice cold all the time he has terrible headches that come all of a sudden to wearn he has to lay down he is tired all the time and can sleep for days if i let him he has numbness in his legs and just an week agao has expanded to his hands at times without his pain meds he cant even get out of bed. his nknees buckle causeing him to fall a few times he was also dignosed with tpye 2 diabeaties he tells me sometimes its almost like their isn or can feel something just eating his muscle in his left leg all these sysmptoms has worsen over the last year to wear its out  control he goes to doctor next week to run a bone test the doctors at times maske him feel like he is stupid and nothing wrong with him you and only you know your body you know when somethinmg is wrong im afraid the doctors anit listening or hearing him and when they do finally hear or listen to him its gonna be to late because like i said just in the last year its went from a 3 to a 9 we are at a i dunno stage its frustrateing depressing time so i feel and know where you and wife stand my prayers are with you can you tell me any other symptoms that she has might had or experenced

• Posted

Hi Phil, any update on your condition? I have identical symptoms to you, seen a neurologist and my normal doctor, spent thousands on MRI's, blood work, and a nerve test. Doctor said neurologically I'm fine, but it seems to be getting worse.

What's odd is that B vitamins and stress make it worse, so I've stopped taking Supliments, obviously can't avoid the stress.

I really hope you can send me an update.

• Posted

Pls have you neck checked for Spinal Estenosis, my mom had what you are describing, she had to have emergency surgery for Spinal Estenosis . Spinal S. is when the spinal cord is being compressed in the neck area( most cases) if you gan get an MRI and visit the Neurologist, do it as soon as posible....very important..
  • Posted

Hello, I just joined this post because I was searching for answers as well for the exact same issue. My daughters have it as well but they also have severe cases of Lyme disease that went undiagnosed for years because doctors in Georgia refused to believe the Lyme tick crosses state lines! Me however , have not been diagnosed with Lyme but have broken my back ( so have my daughters from horses) I have also had 5 levels fused in my neck as lamonectomy at L5. My pain management doctor recently took me off all heavy narcostics be put me on a very low dose of Tramadol. Needless to say I no longer sleep. I have had a port put in so that I can have nutritional IV’s every other day of VC, magnesium, glutathione, B12, B complex, alpha lipoic acid. So far that is not helping but it’s only had three IV’s. Once I can wean myself off the Tramadol I am going to try low dose naltrexone ( has to be low dose) . I have to wait until two weeks after any opiates are out of my system. I am also going through genetic testing since I did have this problem in my early teens before any back issues: I pray all of us find the answer as it is a miserable existence.

• Posted

Hi there,

I myself have been suffering with pins and needles myself for approx 6 months. It all started when I had the flu jab for the first time. A few days after I started experiencing pins and needles/numbness in my left hand. I went back to the Dr and he said its very rare for this side affect after the flu jab but it can happen and should go within a few days. So I went off relieved. Needless to say it didn't go away. After a week or so it travelled in to my arm and then I started to notice what I can only describe as an electric current in my leg when I moved a certain way. This then disappeared and the current then started happening round my waste area,for eg if I bent over it would happen. The Dr referred me to the acute assessment dept in the hospital where I had my bloods,ecg scan and brain scan,all of which are clear. In the last few days the pins and needles/numbness seem to have gone from my left hand side and are now in my right hand and arm and the right side of the back of my head which is extremely worrying. I dont know if it has anything to do with it but I rarely get to sleep more than 2-3 hours a night so I am constantly tired. I will be going for an MRI in the next few weeks but I am petrified of results.

• Posted

Hi Orla

I have very similar symptoms to you which have been ongoing for a few month's. I have had brain mri & various blood tests all of which are normal. Just wondered if you got to the bottom of it as I'm finding these weird symptoms really hard to deal with.

Thankyou

• Posted

Hello,

I have the following symptoms:

1. Numbess in left part of my head.

2. Weird sensation in left arm and left leg.

3. When you hit a tuning fork on left part of my head I can only feel/sense the vibration 10% compared to what I can feel/sense on the right side of my head. Right side feels normal.

4. Disturbed Sleep

5. Extreme Fatigue

6. This has been going on for many years but I am still alive!

Please suggest what could be causing this and what I should do to fix this.  My life is a mess because of this. Thank you for your time and efforts.

My good wishes to Phil.  Phil how are you doing and how did you cure your problem.

Warms Regards,

Patient100

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.