Pins and needles... Due to anxiety?! Really?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I can't get a GP appt for a fortnight to discuss my healthy anxiety so in the interim I'm going crazy. Since I i woke up today, I've had pins and needles in my hand leading up to elbow. Brain is telling me it's serious, MS, STROKE, HEART ATTACK. Help 😢

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jods

Yes - REALLY!

Tingling sensations are frequently associated with an anxiety state. Some people will never experience it, for others, like yourself, it may be quite intense.

It is understandable for your brain to entertain all kinds of horrible possibilities, rejecting 'Anxiety' as too simplistic. However, anxiety when it becomes a medical problem, is a complex and pernicious enemy, and it's greatest weapon against you if fear. It feeds on your feelings of fear, and your feelings of fear are stimulated by speculation that you are about to die from a dreadful illness.

If you had any of the three conditions you mention, you would have some very noticeable and serious physical symptoms to go with it including great difficulty in writing.

Have you tried requesting a telephone appointment with your GP?

• Posted

Thank you, your email really helped me.
    • Posted

I am so pleased to hear that jods. It's made my day to arrive home and read that. I always feel it is a genuine kindness when a member tells you if they have benefitted from someone else's comment. It reinforces the feeling that it is worthwhile and time well spent. It's not so much about the thanks, it's just knowing if you've actually helped. If you have, then for the poster, that is all the thanks they could wish for. If you have any further episodes or setbacks, there will always be plenty of kind and caring people on here, usually 24/7 and I wouldn't hesitate to post a new discussion if you feel the need for support again. I genuinely hope you will get over this and are able to live your life free of this hateful anxiety. Best wishes to you pal.  :-)
  • Posted

Unfortunately anxiety can do that to us.

If you feel there is the slightest possibility that this could ne a heart attack or a stroke then you really must get yourself down to A&E immediately.

• Posted

If you feel it's serious go see your doctor immediately. Anxiety really does sucks but we'll get through it hang in there this too shall pass.
  • Posted

Jods which arm?  If it is heart related it would be your left arm.  It has been eight hours since you posted, how are you feeling now?
    • Posted

Morning

I've just woke up and it hasn't happened yet. It was my left hand/arm. I'm calmer now and I don't think it is a heart attack or a stroke. But maybe its my health anxiety talking but I do still think it's something to worry about.

• Posted

I'm glad to hear that.  What I have been reading on this forum, health anxiety is such a terrible thing.  
  • Posted

Hi Jods,

Hope you are feeling a bit better. I have just come out the other side of a terrible experience with anxiety that presented physical symptoms in my body that were very scary and unsettling including left arm pain, chest pain, brain fog, dizziness, pains in arms and legs, burning sensations on my skin and feeling like I was going to die and not to mention feeling like I was going to die or had a horrible disease despite all my blood tests and doctors telling me I am fine. I absolutely understand how scary and frightening this is and it is important you do get checked out by your GP but know that fear feeds anxiety and the more you focus on it, the more it will stick around. As uncomfortable as it sounds, you need to learn to coexist with the anxiety you are feeling and to relax and do things that make you happy. The more you focus on in the worse it will be. Distraction and not paying it constant attention can work wonders. It can be a slow progress but anxiety is absolutely physical as well as mental. Talk to people you trust and think of seeing a social worker or support group. Knowledge is power and it will require some work and acceptance on your behalf. Feel better  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.