pins and needles in foot post Scarf Osteotomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm 2 weeks post op. I've had the procedure done on both feet. I've had my dressing changed once already on day 6 post op, and nurse was very pleased with the way it looked. Minimal swelling, and in good shape. No complaints from me either. Next day, decided to have my first shower in 7 days (well overdue) and so I stood on my feet (mainly heel baring) for a maximum of 10 mins.  After about an hour or so I started getting pins and needles in my left foot only. Tried cold compress, and have my feet elevated 23hours out of 24, but the pins and needles keeps coming and going. and its just in the left foot. My right foot is fine. Despite this i do still walk on my feet (heel bearing) with the post surgical shoes on and with a pair of crutches. But the pins and needles and numbness is driving me crazy. Has any one else experienced this, and if so what did you do? x

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

I was havin pain in my left toe also, i woke from op in agony with it but 3 wks in my pain has died down, not experienced pins and needles yet have you been told to do any exercises

• Posted

hi michelle,

exercise i've been told to do is to wriggle my toes inside the dressings now and then, and every hour raise my legs and bend them so i dont get DVT. However i do find that the pins and needles is more pronounced when im sitting up on the bed for long periods of time

• Posted

Hiya, yeh i got told just wriggle my toes at first and move my ankles i have since had my bandages off and been told to do more exercises seen some on utube unfortunately i thought i b back at work on 7th oct but been told i wont b as insides need heel, its a slow process but glad i have had it done x
    • Posted

I've been told I've got to wait 6-8 weeks before i can return to work as my job involves standing all the time. I guess you cant rush the recovery. But still like you I'm glad i had it done smile
    • Posted

Yeh im a support worker just driving me mad now staring at four walls lol, been out for tea twice this wk but was worried bout feet so elivated while i was out, just dreading this 6 wk check up now as i look at my left toe and stil get bit of pain but not taking painkillers as its not that bad it looks like its turning back again its probably me haha, i also been told not elivate at night just put to pillows underneath my mattress x
    • Posted

Ladies , there is internet, tv reading virtual shopping,so you don't. need to be bored . According to my other half , I am wearing the internet out!
  • Posted

hi michelle,

exercise i've been told to do is to wriggle my toes inside the dressings now and then, and every hour raise my legs and bend them so i dont get DVT. However i do find that the pins and needles is more pronounced when im sitting up on the bed for long periods of time

• Posted

Hi there,  

I sympathise ! I had a big toe realigned and small bunion shaved off was not bad first 10 post op then the tip of the bid toe started getting stabbing pain when I press down on the ground in comparison I had aore complex surgery done 18 m ago with hardly any discomfort. So I don't know how and why but I  think it must gett better with time but it can be a real downer, so try not to let it bitter you too much. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Lilian

I had a scarf osteotomy on 4th February and read your post with interest as I have the same fairly late-onset stabbing pain in the tip of the toe (it started around one week after the op. How is the pain now? Did you ever find out why you had it?

All the best

Nicola

• Posted

Hi.  I am just over 3 weeks post op on right foot.  I had some pins and needles in my big toe and second toe which started to calm down a week ago.  Now I have aches and pains on the side of my foot an ankle.  It seems each week has a different niggling ache/pain, etc.  Hope yours settles soon.
    • Posted

thanks lisa for sharing your experience. It nice to know i'm not the only one...as funny as that sounds. hope your settles soon too
    • Posted

I still get pins and needles at 5 weeks post op. Yesterday I over did it. Went to my daughters baseball game then to a choir rehearsal then did a bit of shopping and ended up in a long queue at the check out. What was I thinking.....so I woke up this morning with more pain than in ages,and couldn't put my foot to the ground. Have just taken some codeine..a lesson to be learned

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.