Pins and needles in hands.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all my first post here I am quite an impatient person when it comes to finding things out so hopefully some of you could help me out.

I noticed I had pins and needles in my hands and fingers it felt like it was in random parts of my body to, to begin with.

I went to see the local GP and was prescribed 10mg of amytriplyne a day. And for bloods to be taken the same day.

My pins and needles eased over time from my body but stayed in my hands for exactly 11 days .

When I started taking the tablets it was 7 days from that point.

My bloods only came back that I was vitamin D deficient. And also prescribed 50000 Vit D3 units once a week. Nothing else and assuming diabetes ruled out but we didn't have that discussion. They took alot of blood so I assume they tested for lots of things.

I was 9 days clear of the pins and needles when I saw the doctor next. And he suggested I stop taking the amitriptyline.

3 days on my pins and needles has come back to my hands. And I'm very concerned about this issue and will be booking an appointment in the next few days.

If anyone has any experience about this it would be highly appreciated I just don't see this a normal thing and it's very irritating.

Just to note the only other things I feel that isn't right only to describe I feel like s**t sometimes and just can't be bothered with anything... obviously I still do them I'm assuming lack of energy with a vit d deficiency . I get occasional headaches but always suffered with that. But yeah...

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ken, I'm afraid that being impatient won't help you.

What were your Vit D levels?  Your paresthaesia [pins & needles] is probably caused by low Vit D.  I was found to have very low Vit D a year ago & I know that it takes at least 3 months before your tablets will begin to have any impact at all.  My Consultant started me on tablets on August 1st last year & when I saw the Bone Consultant at the end of February, my levels had only just reached an acceptable level.  I was told I would be taking Vit D for life.

The question is, why is your body depleted of Vit D?

• Posted

Hi thanks for getting back to me. When I asked he said my level was at 29. I no pins and needles can be a symptom of vitamin d deficiency but I'm siren was probably deficient for a long time. I broke my leg 3 years ago and it pretty much took 2 years to heal and still giving me issues and doctors didn't no why my bone wasn't growing but I would of put it down to the deficiency.

I'm only taking the vit d tablets now.

• Posted

Mine was 17 & reached 50 by February.  So 6 months.  Why did they check your Vit D?  Do you have any underlying problems?  

Unless there is a reason for you to stay out of the sun, that is an excellent source of Vit D.

Have they done a DXA Scan?  [A bone density scan]

• Posted

I don't no he just sent me for my bloods to be taken and that was the only thing that came back was the vitamin d.

He didn't say what else was tested but said everything else was fine. Just seems like this will he a long process of ruling out things.

I haven't had that scan no. Back when I did the break it took a long time for the bone to heal and as of now I'm still not cleared for any sports. Although I'm fine walking and running currently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.