Pins and needles making me so anxious

Posted , 4 users are following.

anyone ever suffered from intense pins and needles in hands and feet and sometimes arms and legs that the docs just say is anxiety? This symptom is REALLY panicking me now xx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes almost daily and it terrified me to the point of a breakdown as i thought it was a stroke.... And guess what, still getting it all the time 2 years later and no stroke.... So i now dont panic and just wait for it to pass....my therapist explained to me that the blood from your extremities is needed to pump more blood to the heart when you are anxious, and so there is less blood circulating in fingers and toes, arms and legs and that is what causes the sensation...now that i understand the biology i am not so scared of it
    • Posted

That's made me feel much better! I just always find it hard to believe that anxiety can cause all these symptoms! But the doc NEVER seems worried! I'm just sick of getting them!!! Iv got counselling soon so hopefully that'll help to calm me down and relax me! Thank you x
    • Posted

Yes if the counselling you will be doing is CBT it is very helpful. You have to go in with an open mind and a willingness to trust what they tell you, but if you get to the point as i did where you were just a shell of yourself and you really want to get better, you must try these things in order to hepl yourself... Good luck
  • Posted

I have....sort of starts at my feet and legs....my heart rate increases and it goes to my arms...the more I react the worse it gets....I try to stop it by concentrating on my breath....feel the breath going in through my nose and then out again....it sort of distracts me....til I can calm myself....I can now stop it before it takes a hold...worth a try...best of luck...cos it's a horrible feeling....
    • Posted

it is its so scary I always think I'm about to collapse or my limbs will stop working when it gets really bad! Iv had enough of it now! I panic sooo much! Cx
  • Posted

HI Rhianna, I've been through a horrible period from November last year that started with intense pins/needles tingling sensation in my calves and sometimes in feet ankle and hands. It got me so stressed out. I went to neuro had MRI and nerve tests and all were normal. He told me to get my anxiety under control. I went on 50mg sertraline and after about 5 or 6 weeks it pretty much went away. Ive just increased to 100mg as after a stressful event it returned. The more I research I believe anxiety canreally be the cause, anxiety can affect the nerves in our body (i guess thats why theres something called a nervous breakdown?). My symptoms have again settled down. I still have my 'what if' moments but generally now I am feeling a lot better. Did the doctor suggest any meds or therapy? 
    • Posted

yeah it scares me to he point I feel I'm going to collapse! I just find it hard to believe that it's anxiety because I get it first thing in the morning rolleyes and yeah iv literally just come off of my old anti depressant as it stopped working and I am now on mirazapine 15mg and sertraline 50 mg... I started sert 9 days ago! Makes me feel better knowing it's worked for you! There's hope for me xx
    • Posted

Yes there is hope!! I am having a bad day today but have to fight to keep myself in the right frame of mind. So hard to keep the worries at bay sometimes isnt it? smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.