PIP

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a condition Ankylosing Spondilitis which is now a progressive condition. And feel that work is against me even though I still would want to work even part time but i get rejected because of my condition. I am on Employment Support and was advised to apply for PIP which I did.

I went for the assesment and was asked how I felt on that day but with this chronic condition no two days are the same. It was a young girl who was assesing me and did not seem to me a professional doctor but just a physio girl answering questions from a computer. After giving medical evidence my application was still rejected even afte i had appealed and don't know what I will do now to support my income of £40 per week and with only a discount of £12 pounds off my council tax.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary

Sorry to here about your struggle.

Have you thought about appealing again? A friend of mine appealed 3 times, after the reconsideration process, and she was awarded standard rate on both the care and mobility component.

• Posted

Hello there, and thank you for your quick reply to my message.

Yes I have now appealed on the advice of my advisor at the employment service building and if it takes three times to appeal then that is what I shall do thank you english rose for you advice.

• Posted

No problem Gary. I'm not a professional I just read a lot of info and some people might disagree with me lol. Appeal appeal appeal! 😂
    • Posted

Try try and try again    Get advice from CAB if you can  They are very helpful and always remember - tell them about your worst days not the days that arent too bad   Good luck Keep in touch  x
  • Posted

Hi Gary,

Let's say you really timed this badly, not your fault mind you. As from the 1st of April 2015 ATOS no longer does the Assessments. It is now under Maximus, whom are a well known Health Company in the USA, whom the DWP has brought in to clear the back log of PIP/DLA and even ESA Awards.

You mentioned a young girl assessing you, you're not far from the truth there either. But she would not have been a Physio - ATOS bought Paramedics in for £30k a year, Paramedics wages are around £23k - £25k and not standard hours. ATOS offered Paramedics that only need one degree to become one, to do their Health Assessments. Clever eh, well not really - the idea now is to clear the one million plus backlog!

So, now they have brought in Maximus - and yes, there's still over a 1 million back log, their way of clearing this backlog is very easy. They deny nearly all claims made for PIP or DLA.  ESA is different, Jobcenters are being paid bonuses for refusing ESA Claims.

Now, the DWP doesn't want anyone appealing against their decisions - so what you have to do, is appeal everytime. Remember, the letter states you must appeal within 28 days from the date of the letter, thats not actually true. You can phone them up, and ask for a 14 day extension if you need more time.

It can go far as a First-Tier Tribunal, but this costs the DWP a lot more money, and you would have probably been awarded even before it gets this far. There are other routes you can take, but taking these are not normally done, unless you are still denied any of the Award. It is not Maximus who has the final say, that is up to the DWP. They are the ones that either give you nothing, a little or give you a bit more to shut you up. Remember, don't stop appealing until you think their decision is right for you.

I noticed someone said use CAB, this can cause you too lose an appeal, the award will be denied, usually on the grounds that they cannot read the writing on the Award Form. This is just another dirty trick they use to deny the award.

You got one good thing going for you at the moment, your on ESA and your male, sadly now it is harder for a female to claim ESA than a male. This was announced last week.

Regards,

Les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.