pip

Posted , 5 users are following.

im claining esa and been sending in sick notes now for 2years ,wait to be assesed,i just awarded pip,can tell anyone tell me please would i still have to be assed with esa

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes you do have to be assessed by both xx
  • Posted

Unfortunately you do as they are different organisations. I was also very irritated by this as I was awarded two years with Pips but failed the completely incompetent illogical ESA Assessment
  • Posted

Yes you do have to prove that you fit enough ESA descriptors and gain enough points to be said to be 'unable to work'.

I would mention that there are many thousands of disabled people who claim DLA/PIP that actually hold down a full time job.And many thousands more that fit the ESA descriptors, gaining enough points, that are NOT disabled.

I would further add that there are many thousands of people that that fit the ESA descriptors, gaining enough points that are said to be unfit for work, yet are quite capable of working but don't have to.

You don't have to be too poorly not to work, you simply have to gain 15 or more points for the ESA assessment. As an example, if you cannot use either hand to get something in the top pocket of a coat or jacket then that will gain you the 15 points and put you in the Support Group!

• Posted

Hi my boyfriend suffers from sciatica he has been denied PIP what are his chances of getting his ESA, his assessment is in two weeks
    • Posted

It all depends on how he applies his difficulties to the descriptors that make up ESA.

You don't have to be too sick to work to get ESA. You simply have to show which descriptors fit and that his points add up to 15 or more in total.

As I have said before as an example, if he has difficulties in getting something out of the top pocket of a jacket or shirt using either hand, then not only will he be classified as sick but also will be put in the Support Group as he is deemed unlikely to be able to ever work again.

Check out the ESA descriptors on the net and the points that he could get.

Remember whatever he claims has to be backed up with evidence.

• Posted

he has been getting sick notes for a year but has no x-rays or scans ? what are his chances
    • Posted

He doesn't need to have scans or x rays.

The whole idea behind ESA is that he has to show via the descriptors how is condition and symptoms affect him. Any evidence is better than none. Maybe his GP will help - you could get hold of his medical records from the GP - they may cast some light on it.

• Posted

To be honest I don't even know if there is a way of proving that he has sciatica. I know that following a horse riding accident some 30 odd years ago, I was laid up in bed for 2 weeks with it. Over the years it has improved but has left me with attacks a few times a year and the back of my lower right leg is permanently without feeling - you can stick a pin in the calf muscle and I don't feel it.

Having said that I have never told the DWP about it when claiming ESA and DLA as I can't prove I have it. Likewise I have never disclosed on any claim from that I suffered brain damage (frontal lobe) that changed my whole personality, although i have had extensive psychiatric treatment in recent years. I can't prove that either as I discharged myself with help from a friend from A&E after being flown to hospital by HEMS in South London before they could scan me or do tests These are minor in comparison to my other problems. I only have reported and claimed for those illnesses and disabilities that actually threaten my life.

• Posted

My ESA assessment is coming up early December and I am dreading it as I have already gone through this nightmare back in July before I had shoulder surgery. Some of the questions they ask have no relevance as to why I am there. Post shoulder surgery,Fibromyalgia for 8years, frozen shoulder for four years. I find this the most degrading experience. Questions like do I soil myself??? What I am more worried about is that they can supercede our GP and surgeon . Although they are not doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

'They' don't have to be doctors to assess how your life is affected by a disability.'They' are similar to what an OT would do in having an assessment through Social Services. 'They' then tick a descriptor box that best fits.

There is no medical intervention whatsoever.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.