PIP

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have previously posted my concerns regarding the face to face assessment I was due to have under the title of 'frightened'. When I arrived at the assessment  centre I was suspicious of the assessor because of what I had read but she was really nice. People are right when they say to get to the centre from the car is over 20 metres. My husband was allowed with me and he could contribute at any time she listened to both my husband and myself. She went through the form point by point I just confirmed what I had originally written. I did make a copy of the form before I posted it and read it through a few times. She asked me about what things I like to do in the day hobbies etc.She did a short examination of my legs strength wise. I took notes in with me for my benefit to ensure I had covered all the points I wanted to get across, which she was happy with. At the end of the assessment just as we were leaving she asked me how I got in and out of the car which I felt then she was trying to catch me out. I had no problem showing her. 

I waited a few days rung the DWP asked for a copy of the report and I received it within a couple of days and I was happy with what she had written, the out come is I am to receive what I was expecting.

My advise would be: Answer the questions truthfully, take someone with you who knows all your disabilities, I took in a statement from my husband on his take on how my disability effects me on a day to day basis, take in notes to make sure you cover all the points you want to put across. Hope this post ishelpful to someone.  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

HI Bridget,

So happy this morning to read this news! Thank you for sharing this. We don't often hear the good news and the nice stories. Mostly when people get the award they want they never share the news, which is the reason we don't hear the nice stories.

I was also lucky with both my assessors, they were lovely and true to their word with everything they said.

Relax now you deserve it smile

• Posted

I found when reading threads many people who actually received what they wanted never bothered to reply. I was absolutely petrified not that I was doing anything wrong, but the assessor put me at ease when I first got there asking general questions about myself. Mne you I was still carful what I said as from reading other threads in some instances the assessores word is set in stone. I just thought about the question before I jumped in and answered it. You mentioned assessors why did you have more,than one??
    • Posted

I've 2 assessments. My first when i first applied 2.5 years ago and another at my review.

• Posted

Excellent advice. As I'm due to be assessed for Pip next week. I was planning to ask for a home visit but I will struggle and get there so that they can really get the picture of the severeness of my disability. How my quality of life is affected. Hope I'll be able to manage it. I cannot use any form of walking aids as I have disc problems I neck and lower back and gout in right hand. Hope that will not be a disadvantage n

• Posted

Hi,

Take someone with you if at all possible. If you have more evidence then take that with you too. Take only copies not originals. Remember don't just answer those questions with a "yes or no" they don't know you and you want them to get the clearest picture of everything! Trick questions can happen so think before you speak. You'll be watch from the minute you arrive, that doesn't mean to say they'll have cameras though. Don't be fooled by someone that appears to be nice and friendly. I've heard alot of stories where they seem this way but once they have the report back they've stabbed them in the back "so to speak" When i went for my assessment on the report stated that i went into my bag :o this was true i did, so this is just an example of how they watch you. You'll be asked to do some physical things such as lift your arms, bend down, lift your legs up etc. IF you can't do the things they ask you to please tell them you can't and why.

In all honesty though in my 2 assessments both my assessors were really nice. The last one i had even put the heating on in the room for me because i was freezing. Both times my thoughts were none of the assessments were as bad as i thought. Last of all be honest and you should be just fine. Good luck and please come back and let us know the outcome smile

• Posted

Thank you Denise. This is so assuring. Am waiting to go in hospital tomorrow for surgery and that along with the stress of the assessment has made me quite emotional, however, I am trusting Good to help me and He has started with you. Thanks.again
    • Posted

I do agree with Beatifulme you are assessed as soon as you get into the building. Take as much medical evidence as you can. I was asked to lift my arms up, put them behind my back, lean forward which I struggled with, tested the strength in my legs which I don't have any. If you can't do it tell them and tell them why. Explain about good days and bad days how it effects your life.  Make sure you get your point across don't let them talk over you. My disability is visual although the pain isn't. On my assessment form she stated I was casually dressed, gave good eye contact, average build, coped well in the assessment, engaged well  during assessment, not agitated to name just a few. I think it's important you take someone with you it gave me confidence to have my husband there. Don't forget after a couple of days ring and ask for a copy of her assessment. Good luck !! . 

• Posted

Interesting comments Denise. I had a similar experience at my assessment. According to the decision maker, the assessor oberved me reaching into my bag to get my identification documents - which the decision maker claimed showed I was capable of movement in my shoulder! Also the decision maker reported that the assessor had observed how far I had walked from reception to the interview room. So there may not be "spy cameras" but the assessor will, and do, watch every move.

• Posted

Thankfully it didn't go against me. I kept my bag on my lap the whole time because i can't bend down very easily. They do indeed watch you from the momnet you arrive. I was also observed walking from the waiting room and back out again. She only had to watch to see how difficult it was for me. I did end up with the award i wanted, Enhanced mobility.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.