PIP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

A little while ago someone asked a question about what happens to those 65+ who currently have a PIP award. As like DLA used to be once someone reached 65 and over  no renews were needed. I've just heard that with PIP this isn't the case. You'll continue to be reviewed 1 year before award ends and have assessments if called regardless of age. Not the greatest thing to share but i'm sure there's people out there that was wondering about this too. Sorry to those that this concerns, to bring such bad news sad

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Denise, could you possibly help clarify an additional point?

I was under 65 when I was granted DLA. As I fall within the age range for the switch to PIP, as you know, I had to apply for PIP, was turned down, applied for MR and was turned down and am going to appeal. I am now aged 67, so if I win my appeal and get granted PIP will I have to go for reassessment every year?

Hope you can help. Thanks.

• Posted

I towuld depend on your length of award. Some are 2, 3 years etc. Reviews are always done 1 year before your award is due to end tho. So if you were awarded till June 2020 your review would be June 2019.
    • Posted

Thanks for clarifying and expaining. As always you find the info needed and this is much appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi steve did you send a lot of evidence in for M R ? Sorry to ask just curious
    • Posted

Yeah i sent it all in for my cousin just wonderd if steve had sent a lot in too
    • Posted

With my MR I pointed out what had not been taken into account by the assessor but the decision maker chose to be very selective, picking out of my comments the parts which he declared were not covered by PIP and ignoring those parts which are relevant. As a consequence of my MR being turned down I am appealing and have assembled information which I have sent to the courts and am taking evidence with me to the hearing.
  • Posted

Hi Denise,

I'm 68 and had to change from DLA to PIP last year 2016 (I missed the deadling by about 5 weeks)  my award letter said my award is for an ongoing period and on the reverse it said that they will contact me to see if my needs have changed, this will be after July 2026.  This surprised me really as although my DLA was indefinitely, I didn't think PIP was going to do that.  I will be 78 when they contact me again.

• Posted

HI Sukes,

You got the maximum amount of award length at any one time for PIP being 10 years. There's no life time awards with PIP like there was for DLA. When PIP first came out the award lengths were much shorter with max time being 5 years. Shortly after they changed it to 10. Not many people get this though.

• Posted

Hello Denise,  I was awarded PIP this month.  They have told me that I will be re-assessed again in 2020.  Is there any reasons why some people can have a 10 year award length & others like me get 3 years or less?  Ten years would be nice, saves having to go throught the whole rigmarole so soon. 

• Posted

It's all about what the assessment providers writes on their report and what the DM decides. My condition won't get better either and it even stated this on the assessment report yest i was only awarded till 2020. Which means they'll contact me in 2019, 1 year before award ends. Which would be the same for you if your award is until 2020.

• Posted

Hi,

On the subject of providing evidence.

I am receiving middle care and full mobility on dla. I am now 67 and will one day have to claim pip, my dla award was indefinite.

However, I have no evidence of any sort less than 4 years old. I have cervical stenosis with myolepathy and also spondylosis at C4, 5,6,7.

I am at risk of permanent paralysis if I fall or trip over, cannot put pressure on my upper limbs or neck, also have difficulty walking as both legs have nerve problems and sciatica, also bladder problems associated to my c/s.

Also diagnosed with depression and anxiety, had 19 sessions of councilling, and take fluoxetine.

Apart from my repeat prescriptions I have no other documents.

I have had about 8 mri s nerve conductivity tests X rays and ct scans, no evidence to prove any of it.

I have mountains of hospital appointments but they,dwp, don't want to see those???

Any help for when the day comes for my dla-pip assessment.

Mike.

• Posted

HI Mike,

PIP say that they don't want to see evidence that's older than 2 years, which in my oppinion is stupid. We don't all see Consultants etc very often. You can try sending this as it can't hurt. If i were you though i'd back it up with a diary writen by yourself, a letter from someone that knows you well, list of all current medication. Any future appointment letters have to relevence at all for evidence, they're pointless. When filling out the form please make sure you add as much detail about your daily life as possible. Get someone to help filling those forms out if possible because they're very complex. If you need extra time then please ring them and ask for it. They'll gladly give you this time. Don't forget these forms have to be back within the stated time (extra if needed) for your DLA payments to continue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.