PIP

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffer with RA and OA. I also have chronic asthma. Haemochromatosis brittle done and Still's disease. Everyday for me is a struggle as I also have nerve damage to my are and foot. So the simple little things that people do is hard for me. I applied for PIP and was turned down even with 7 consultant letters stating that my health will only get worse. When I had my medical I had 2 broken arms and broken leg due to a fall. I have monthly dexa scans on my bones. I can have up to 4 hospital appointments a week. It's winds me up cause if I was using drugs or an alcoholic I wouldn't be having this problem

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola,

I'm not sure what your question is here. You say you applied for PIP, and got turned down? Was this recently?

• Posted

Oh Nicola. I totally agree. I was on mire benefits before I ws diagnosed with MS. Then after my assessment when I declared this new illness. It was dropped to basic and stopped my mobility. They have since given me low mobility be. But had to out in MR to get another decision. It's really update. People who should not be receiving the benefits seem to have no problem getting everything. But genuine people have it taken away.

Hope everything works out for you. XX

• Posted

Sorry words all over today. Hope you understand. XX
    • Posted

In all honesty i don't think there's many people out there claiming PIP who shouldn't be. It's very easy for us to say things like this when we see people that "look ok" but no one knows what goes on, on the inside. There's me for example, i look fine on the outside BUT that's not what i'm like on the inside. PIP isn't the easiest benefit to claim and many many people have realised that.

• Posted

Yep absolutely spot on Denise as PIP IMO is a very hard benefit to get.

If people looked at me they would think well there can't be much wrong with him but how wrong they would be as they would have a mighty shock if they realised how the real magnitude of my ongoing illnesses and disabilities.

• Posted

Hi Denise

I didn't mean to sound as though I was making people out to claim when they are entitled to PIP. Just makes you feel as though your not worth anything when you have an Illness which will eventually stop me doing things. And others have no problems receiving it.

I know many people have illnesses you cannot see. My works with people who have mental health issues so i would never assume there's nothing wrong with them. Sorry if I upset or offended anyone. It as not Intended to sound like that.

• Posted

No offence intended. I am aware some illnesses cannot be seen.
    • Posted

Hi Denise.

This is Mark's mum. I've just seen posts from yesterday and think Mark was misunderstood with his comment.

Is is due to myself working in the mental health sector. I have mentioned some of the people I work with have claimed DLA for many years with no questions asked.

On going over to PIP it wasn't as easy. As they were asked if they he support/ care plans which they do. And the assessor would like to see them which is quite rightly so. But some knew if they showed these details they would possibly lose the benefit altogether. I cannot go I to detail due to confidentially. But many had said they cannot go out on their own and need support when doing so. Also need support shopping, doing chores, taking medication etc. Which they did not they did everything themselves and went in regular holidays. So showing their care plan would have shown all of these details. As we record daily what each person he done.

So please forgive Mark for his comment. It was not many in the context he'd write it in. He knows many people's have severe illnesses which cannot be seen.

I hope this clears this up for everyone.

Thanks P

• Posted

No offence taken. One of the reasons for changing to PIP was so that those on Indefinite awards for DLA and left alone for years and years would stop. With PIP the max award anyone can get at one time is 10 years which means review time would be 9 years. Shopping and chores aren't in the PIP descriptors either. Myself i found PIP easier than DLA having had a refusal for DLA shortly before PIP was introduced.

• Posted

I have assisted many people i have .worked with to full out the forms for both DLA and PIP. Your right the PIP is easier. Just not nice having to be asked by some who cannot read or write to lie on their forms. I always direct them to their mental health nurse or psychiatrist now. As so many people who do deserve this are being turned down. Just hope it gets easier for people who have no one to help or advise them.

• Posted

Hi nicola,

It doesn't matter how many things you have its the affect they have on your daily living.

You say three of your limbs were broken when you were assessed, where were you assessed. If at home how did you present yourself to the Assessor, lying down on a bed, sat upright in a chair, moving around.

If you went to an assessment centre, with three out of four broken limbs how did you get there, by ambulance car, public transport or drive there on your own.

As others have mentioned pip is a very difficult benefit to get as the government want dwp to take it away from as many people as possible. I am dreading my call up for pip from dla.

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.