pip

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi everyone    i reapplied for pip for my son who came off dla to pip last year but got refused pip after the assesment and the mantory reconsideration.. but this year new health issues have come in to light and got told to reapply by 2 health professionals  to which we did   we sent forms  off with evidence on the 24/7/17 then he had the face to face assesment on the 30/8/17   she asked a lot more questions than the last one did and how his health affects him to which he replied  and what he can do and carnt do also asked him what income he gets and he replied none at all  which is true .. so just asking to why the fast assesment as im sure the last one took a lot more time  but does it also it mean good news no a answer.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Firstly may i ask why you didn't take it to Tribunal when he was refused the first time? Only 20% of Mandatory Reconsideration decision's are changed at this stage, meaning most MR decisions remain the same. 65% of those who take it to Tribunal and appear at their hearing have a decision in their favour. Seems such a waste to take it as far as the MR then stop there.

Waiting times vary totally depending on where in the country you are, Some are waiting months while others are waiting just a few weeks. The backlogs in your area are most likely a lot less now than they were when you first applied. I'm afraid it doesn't mean any at all as to whether a decision will go in his favour. Are you his appointee? Just wondering about this too because if you are then you can actually speak for him during an face 2 face assessment, he doesn't actually have to say a single thing but only if you're his appointee.

You can also ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea on what the decision is going to be because mostly the decision maker goes with what's stated on the report and will award point for point on each of those descriptors. If you haven't already asked for this i'd advice ringing them today. Hopefully for you the decision won't be too long. Waiting times for decisions vary and can be anything from 2-8 depending on area. Good luck.

• Posted

Called them and they said they will send a copy out. It's for received on the 1/9/17 and it's now with the decision maker

• Posted

The reason the why I didn't take it further after the mandatory reconsideration was because I didn't have the funds to go further as I had just walked out of my job of 12 years due to a higher management saying horrible things about my son. I've also been told that it's now free to go to a tribunal but again in insure. I am his appointee and was with last week when he had the f2f assessment she asked me certain questions and I replied back with what ever was needed I'm on my way to work now but will ring up once I'm back home

• Posted

Taking a benefit decision to a Tribunal has always been free, no one ever has to pay for this.
  • Posted

I got told they was a fee and unfortunately I did not look into it more
  • Posted

Hi kerry292117

I too am in the exact same situation as yourself I failed my assessment last year and reapplied this year , I had my assessment on the 14.08.17 and am waiting for a decision , I think we have hit a spot where there must be backlogs as a few more are also awaiting on a decision ,

Just keep ringing every other day to see what they say

• Posted

Hi again.  Waiting on report from atos and then the letter From the decision maker but just want to know yesterday my son got put on anti depressants will I need to tell them or won't that affect anything? 

• Posted

No there's no need to tell them because PIp is about how your condition affects you daily not about a diagnosis or what medication you take. When reporting changes of any kind to DWP you have to be so careful because they'll send you another PIP2 form like the first time, and your son would end up having another face 2 face assessment. eek

• Posted

Hi denise15811  come home from work and seen the brown envelope thinking it was the atos report and settled down to read it only it's not was the decision and been denied both pip and mobility. Callled them up and asked for the MR. I said I have requested a copy but she told me it's not been done but will be sent out this evening. She asked me what do I think is wrong and I said her question to cooking a basic meal and the response from my son was i  feel I can cook with the oven but due to my epilepsy I feel unsafe doing this. I will also cook a stir fry but need supervision when making this ..if not I just make a sandwich or a microwave meal and she scored him 0 points 

• Posted

Hi Kerry,

I'm sorry to hear this. Firstly you need to put that MR request in writing. It's very important that you do this because they could turn around and tell you that you didn't ask for it. Putting it in writing means you have proof in black and what that it's done. You have 1 month from the date of the decision to get this in.  What you need to do is state where you think he should have scored those points and why. You'll also need evidence to prove those descriptors apply to him. As you haven't long applied and got refused i'm not at all surprised that they've refused him again after such a short space of time.

Did your son score any points at all in either Daily living and or mobility? You say you said about the cooking and needing supervision? This would only score him 4 points and you need at least 8 points for an award of Standard rate. It's not just about cooking and preparing meals. Where else can he score those points Kerry? 

What i advice you do is google those PIP descriptors and see where you think he could score those points in both parts daily living and mobility. Understanding what it's all about is the first step in the application, without at least understanding it, you don't have a lot of chance, i'm afraid. There's also a PIP test online that you can do if you google PIP test it will come up. Tick those boxes that you think apply to him and see how many points he scores.

Bear in mind that most MR decision's remain the same therefore it's very likely that you'll have to take it to Tribunal. Don't give up this time please because you don't need money to take it to Tribunal. If you keep giving up then re-applying they're just going to keep refusing him. If you don't understand it then i advice you get some help from someone that does. CAB for example are really good. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Denise. They scored him 0 points on everything again and I have asked for the MR and she has noted it down I'm waiting now for the atos report but will begin some of the MR report I have checked the points system on the bathing he can bathe himself but he can only bathe or shower when me or his dad are home and we stand outside the bathroom. He also needs reminding to take medication as he told her he has forgotten to take it and sometimes taken it and he thought he has forgotten it and took it again we also told her he can get to town and back home but anywhere new he would need someone with him. She also asked him if he was to make his way to the pip building would he knew how and he respondedI wouldn't have a clue she then said if u used Google maps would u knew how and again he said no we had to get 2 buses to where it was and even fell asleep before he was called in to be seen and needed a good shake to be woken up

• Posted

Ok, the bath/shower, cooking preparing meals, remiinding/prompting to take medication would have scored him 7 points in the daily living part but you need at least 8 for an award. You say he can get to your local town and back alone? I don't understand the part where you say about google maps because you said about buses? who went to the PIP assessment with him?

• Posted

She asked him about google maps because she said would he have known how to get to the assessment centre by him self and he responded no and she said even using google maps ans he said no as i went with him and we had to get 2 buses to the pip centre
    • Posted

They has also been times where we have had to tell him to bathe and change his clothes needs so communication support and she even stated he is doing GCSEs which he isnt only btec
    • Posted

The answers that your son was giving "no" aren't enough. He needs to explain the reasons why he can't use google maps. They're trying to make a picture of your son and by answering just "no" to a question isn't going to help them make a picture. Did you send in evidence to support that he can't use google maps?

Also the same goes for all the other questions he was asked. You can't just answer a yes or no. You have to go into as much detail as possible and provide evidence to support the claim. Evidence that proves those descriptors apply him.

The best advice i can give you right now is to please get some help with this letter for the MR. You have to totally understand what it's all about to be given a chance, i know that sounds odd but it's true. PIP isn't an easy benefit to claim because it's how your conditions affect you daily and not about a diagnosis. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you hun im off work next week and they is a cab around the corner so gonna ask there for some help. He got asked on the day of the assessment if he could use google maps to which he replied no but will tey and get some more evidence for him. X and thanx
    • Posted

No problem. if you don't mind me asking what's the reason he can't use google maps?

My daughter can't use google maps because she has learning disabilities and she doesn't have the capacity to use them. She also can't follow the route of a familiar journey because she doens't have the capacity to do so. I've got evidence stating that she doesn't have the capacity and why.  I'm waiting for the PIP forms for her, they're taking ages. If she has to go for an assessment because i'm her appointment i can speak for her, she doesn't have to say anything but she has to be there with me.

• Posted

It's extremely difficult to score anymore that 4 points for mobility for mental health in the "planning and following journeys".

• Posted

Thats the same reason he can not hun he has learning difficulties he can not follow a route he does not know too unless someone is wirh him .. this is the list we told her he has

Nf1. A life time illness

Epilepsy

Mental health issues

Depression

Insomnia

PTSD awaiting on appointment

Aspergers awaiting on appointment

Learning difficulties

Suicidal thoughts questions she talked to him about

• Posted

Sorry this reply has only just shown up as was waiting for a moderator to see it first.

Then it's more than likely the way he answered those questions at the face to face assessment because you have to answer with reasons why you can't do something.

Furture appointment letters are not classed as evidence because they mean nothing.

Evidence to prove whch ever descriptors apply to him is what's needed.

Are you his appointee? or does he sort all that out himself? For example, ringing DWP, making appointments, sort his finances out etc?

• Posted

Hi denise forgot all about this think it went to mods because of his thoughts .. yes im his appointee he had the letter and got 0 points again so doing the MR told them i take him to medical appointments as he does not know how to get there and he also does not know how to use google maps i explained how he forgets which stop to get off when he is on his way to college even when im with him to try and give him some independent
    • Posted

Hi Kerry,

You have to give evidence that proves all of this. It's not going to help you just telling them that you do these things with him. You have to actually give them some kind of evidence other than telling them. I know you say he can't use google maps but what evidence do you have that backs up what you're saying? Also you say he's at college, does he have support while he's there? or does he manage on his own? Does he go alone to college or do you take him? I'm sorry for all the questions but i'm just trying to help you. As with the point scoring descriptors, you said when you did the online PIP test that he scored 7 points. This won't get him an award. You have to be prepared because if you're not then they're going to refuse him all the time. It's the same as a Tribunal, if you don't have evidence to back up what you say then you're going to find it very difficult to get a decision in your favour. I strongly advice that you have some kind of help with this becaue those letters and forms are very complex.

• Posted

Hi denise we take him to college and depending on the day we also get him other than that he can make his way home by getting the bus innto town and bus home from tiwn he does have support too in college im not sure what evidence i can give for him not to able to use google maps at this moment im just stressed out and not thinkijg straight
    • Posted

As he can make his own way home that could go against him for the mobility part this is because he can follow the route of a journey. As i said a few days ago, it's extremely difficult for those with Mental health issues to gain anymore than 4 points in the mobility part. I can't really advice you any further Kerry, just please remember that PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis. It's awarded based on how your condition/s affect you daily. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.