PIP

Posted , 4 users are following.

My next door neighbour  has stomach cancer and gets ESA and claimed for PIP on the 3rd Oct and she has only just had her assessment from a PIP adviser at home who asked her questions and was really hard on her which was not nice as she is going through Chemo which ends today then an operation 23rd Feb. She was told to re-apply in 6mths time even without knowing the result of this one? It has been quite a while and the Macmillan nurses have spoke to them regarding her illness and her Oncologist filled in most of her form. The way the woman was talking about telling her to apply again in 6 mnths she does not feel confident although she has been through a rough time with the Chemo.

Any advise would be grateful smile

Thanx Ian

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately as we know it’s not the illness it’s how it affects you, I have a relative with stomach cancer who still works on building sites and hasn’t claimed a penny in benefits. That’s not to say he isn’t ill nor deserve them, he chooses not too.  

If she doesn’t get PIP and feels she meets the criteria she needs to apply for a MR. 

• Posted

Thank for replying Southernbelle yeah it does effect people in different ways and I wish your relative good look with his treatment. My next door neighbour suffered quite bad with the chemo as she was on it non stop for 19 weeks again different people react in different ways. She has to have half her stomach removed on the 23rd Feb but could be more depends on how much it has shrunk? I will let her know of your comments and thanx again smile 
  • Posted

Hello Ian, Your post just about confirms to me what I have always believed, the outcome of a face to face is down to the assessors. The bottom line ends with them.  Your neighbour was told by the assessor to apply again in 6 months, which in turn suggests the assessor is saying that you have not been successful with this claim.

When my son went for his face to face, the assessor told him he would need to apply again for PIP after a year, which was telling my son you have been successful with your application for PIP but I can only give it to you for one year.  Sure enough he was awarded PIP for one year & then had to apply again after the year was up, which he did & was awarded it again for another year.

If your neighbours claim was not successful, then she does not have to wait 6 months before she can apply again. If the claim was not successful then she can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration & if this fails then she can take it to a Tribunal.

I wish your neighbour good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Lilmen for replying so quick she also said that with her operation coming up on the 23rd Feb that she would need it more and would go on the higher rate, which suggests she may get the lower rate and then ask to be assessed in 6months time? That's how I understood it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.