Pip

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya I’m new to this and was wondering if anyone could possibly help I was at my f2f pip appointment 2weeks ago and called today and was told I was awarded pip,I’m on income support do I have to call them and tell them or will this be automatically applied onto my income support telling them I now receive pip aswell 

Sorry I’m all new to this stuff 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

DWP will have contacted Income support because they use the same computer system. As you're claiming Income Support, do you have a daily living award of PIP? If you do, do you live alone (no non dependents) living with you, does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you?

You could be entitled to premiums on top of your Income support BUT it does depend on circumstances and what award of PIP you have.

Were you claiming DLA previously, or is this a first time claim for disability benefits?

• Posted

Hiya yeah it’s daily living award I’ve been awarded for no one claims the career one I live on own with my two kids this is my first time claiming this benefit so it’s all new to me 
    • Posted

As you only live with your children then you'll need to ring Income Support and ask to claim Severe Disability Premium (SDP) this isn't automatically added because you have to apply for it, it's very simple to apply for. It's an extra £62.45 per week on top of your IS. You will also get another disability premium of £32.55 per week on top of your IS. This one is automatically added though. BOTH premiums are backdated to the date of your PIP award, so you'll have another nice backdated amount going into your bank in a few weeks time.

Your local council will also need to be told about your PIP claim because it could affect your housing benefit (in a good way) any benefit cap that you may have had previously will now not apply to you. Hope this helps.

• Posted

The women on the phone had a really bad attitude told me because it’s standard rate I’m not entitled to anything and that it only affects people for enhanced rate thanks Hun I’ll get in touch with council and all so everything is all up dated on it thank u 
    • Posted

The person you spoke to on the phone is totally wrong here! You do NOT need to Enhanced rate of daily living PIP to claim the disability premium for Income Support or the Severe disability premium.

The only time you need Enhanced daily living is when claiming enhanced disability premium which is payable to those in the WRAG for ESA and is NOT payable on any other Income Related benefit.

I urge you to ring Income Support again today before they close at 6 and tell them you want to claim SDP (severe disability premium) on top of your Income Support. Or ask them to send you the IS10 form but it can be done and claimed through a very simple phone call. The other disability premium should automatically be added to it.

Please don't let them fob you off with all the rubbish they often speak. This is a lot of money extra per week. Sometimes DWP make me so angry!

• Posted

One thing i forgot to mention is that i claim standard daily living PIP and i also claim the SDP on top of my ESA. It's payable on JSA/IS and ESA.

• Posted

I’ve been back on the phone thank you for this advice means so much to me this women I spoke to was brilliant and listened to everything I said. She is getting someone to call me back about applying for the  severe disability one she said the other one should be a automatic one that was only put on the system today I receive pip but she’s thinking that’s from me calling earlier so she said once I receive my call they should fix the automatic one on my claim and also put on the other one I wish to claim for I honestly wouldn’t have known any better if it wasn’t for you giving me this advice thank you she’s also put in my change off circumstances the date pip has been awarded from 
    • Posted

You're welcome! I'm glad you posted here and glad you got it sorted. You'll be amazed at the amount of people that don't know about the SDP disability premium. The reason it's not automatically paid is because of the very specific criteria. Enjoy that back dated money, and by the way if all of your backdated money is more than £6000 it's disregarded for 52 weeks for means tested benefits such as IS, HB and council tax.

• Posted

Glad I posted aswell as I would never have been any the wiser to they extra ones to get added to income support or apply for, I get my first pip payment tomorrow I’ve not had my award letter yet but women said tomorrow for that payment I only expected it to be taken from when I got the f2f but it’s from 31st jan which is a bonus women on income support said the automatic one should get back dated aswell and then this other one should be same honestly can’t be any more thankful for your help means so much to me so just waiting on a call back today or tomorrow morning I’ve contacted council but the women was useless but support worker said with me contacting benefits it should be a automatic thing for my housing benefit thank u again for advice 
    • Posted

As tomorrow is your first PIP payment, this will be the backdated money they owe you from the day you rang to start your claim off. Payments will them be made every 4 weeks on a specific day, your award letter will tell you which day that is.

Both premiums will be backdated to the start of your PIP claim too. Yes, DWP usually contact your local council but i'd advice you to ring them also, just to be sure.

As you will be claiming the SDP please be aware that anyone wishing to claim Carers Allowance for looking after you then your SDP will be affected by this. You can't claim SDP if someone is claiming Carers for looking after you.

When DWP call you about the SDP they will ask you a few very simple questions about who you live with and if anyone claims CA for you, and that's basically all you have to do for that. Payments should start fairly soon after.

Don't forget your PIP will be reviewed 1 year before it's due to end.

• Posted

Yeh the women from pip told me exactly what I’ll have in my account tomorrow and says payment after that will be 1st may so it’s monthly Friday payment , yeh I’ve a support worker he’s been helping me on housing benefit part so he said he will let them know I’m now getting pip,it’s only me and my kids here  so no one will claim the carers allowance Part oh I never knew that as women on phone said that’s me till 2021 and not to worry thanks honestly what a huge help your being here smile I’ll be having appointment with council soon to about other stuff would I be best taking my award letter in with me for them to photo copy aswell just to be on safe side on everything although support worker will inform them I just panic too much incase it’s not been recorded 
    • Posted

I'm glad they explained it to you. You do sometimes get someone helpful at DWP, just not always.

Awards for PIP are always reviewed 1 year before they are due to end.

I don't think there's any need to take your PIP award to your local council, they usually have contact with DWP. I just adviced telling them to make sure but i'm glad your support worker is sorting that for you.

If the benefit cap did affect you before your PIP award then you'll be backdated the extra money to the start of your PIP claim for that also.

I'm always happy to help anyone that posts here and i'm glad i could advice you about the SDP today because every little helps! Take care!

• Posted

Council are trying to say I’m £630 in rent arrears which support worker isn’t happy about because we applied for dhp I think it’s called and at that time arrears were only £300 thru the cap in place but today the women was giving me attitude telling me there is going to be a possession order in place and I was to clear my account today anxiety has hit the roof I’m being charged another £40 odd so I’m worrying but support worker said the dhp was due to run out until middle of this month so he’s not pleased and confused there’s £200 odd extra added to account aww this is brill news aswell honestly thank you so much for this I’m so clueless on it all  it deffo does honestly can’t be anymore thankful than I am for all your advice you’ve been a huge help 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.