PIP

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I have a PIP interview next week and im getting anxious already, what am I to expect?

Jo

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I went through his health assessment with Atos a few years ago, since then it has changed to PIP, I have Rheumatoid arthritis, in many joints, but I can walk, raise my arms, bend etc, even though many involve pain, so the outcome was they agreed I had RA but apparently in one finger, which was total rubbish, basically these assessments are to stop any extra money you get, unless anything has changed, they take little notice of medical evidence or medication you are on, they tick boxes off like can you walk,can you raise your arms etc, my problem was I never exaggerated my conditions, I was honest, my advice imagine yourself at your very worst, and be that on the day so to speak, good luck.
    • Posted

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.
    • Posted

I have to disagree with you Martin, if you put down your worse day and on the day you seem ok you will not receive enough points to be awarded PIP, exsagerating your condition want help either because eventually you could possibly be seen doing something you have inferred you are not capable of doing and will find your PIP cancelled, I was 100% honest when I filled out the forms and when I had my assessment, was awarded full on both, your PIP is awarded on your capacity to carry out daily task not on your specific conditions, you still need medical evidence to back up your claim, you will see lots of threads on the forum showing the ones that didn't succeed but remember there are very few that come on and say, I was successful.

• Posted

Hi, from my experience many genuine people with bad health conditions loose PIP because they downplay their problems somewhat, and some people make health conditions up and go to extremes to make sure they pass these assessments, this is why they have this attitude to people in general.
  • Posted

Hi is this your first claim for an assistive benefit, if so I would say that be honest and remember whatever you have put on the form that's it, you cannot start adding things on the day, did you send in supporting medical evidence

• Posted

Hi it is my first assessment, i filled in the forms honestly, i also have anxiety and depression, this whole situation is making my anxiety bad, going on hols tomoz until Sunday, assessment Monday
    • Posted

Hi try not to worry about it, your life will go on just the same whether you are granted PIP or not so just go away on your hols and whatever will be will be, just be yourself and try to be as honest as you can be, 😀 in the meantime have a great break

• Posted

I was awarded PIP for 2 years only then called in for re-assessment. The first time I went I was going through a serious flare up, since then I went on a trial for a toximilimab which did help so my flare ups were not as frequent or severe for about 10 days after the infusion. Second time I went  was 3 days after my treatment so wasn't as bad. I explained this to the assessor who didn't seem to care. Conclusion was PIP was taken off me. The assessment in my opinion is rubbish. They ask to to lift your arms, put them behind your back, stand on one leg and you have to make a ring with your thumb and finger, they put their index finger in and tell you to pull away. The letter I had said they recognise I have a 'chronic' illness however as I can drive a manual car, got my driving licence out of my purse with ease and pick my handbag up from the floor I was not eligible. Do these assessor a really understand our condition? I am currently in my 6th week of a severe flare up and life at the moment is a struggle. Sorry for the long reply, just relax in the interview

• Posted

Hi, this is similar thing I went through a few years ago, I have RA and involves quite a few joints and the usual pain stiffness and fatigue, my assessment was before It changed to PIP, the result was they agreed I had RA but only in one finger, so I could sign on and get a job, I appeal this decision went to a tribunal in front of a judge and doctor and the outcome they agreed I should get disability allowance, so was put on ESA.
  • Posted

Hi Jon, It's all done on a points system worked out by things you Can't do not things you can, I was advised to go looking tired and untidy, so old clothes, hair not groomed and no make up. I wore my wrist supports, used my stick and put my handbag in a shopping bag I held over my arm. I did not take any painkillers that morning so was really in pain and it showed when I was asked to walk around etc. I also told them I used adapted cutlery to eat and that I could not prepare a simple meal, needed a family member to cut up food and open bottles, jars and packets, all true on a bad day. I also emphasised that I could not get in and out of the bath independently, used a shower board and needed to have support near the toilet. As I have a knee replacement and a lot of metal in my spine I said I could only walk a reasonable distance before I needed to sit down.

All of the above is true but I emphasised the difficulties I face in every day life. The result was that I was only given it at the lowest rate but it makes a difference and I am very grateful.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your holiday.

• Posted

I have to contradict you on your post, I was in perfectly clean and ironed clothing, I had had a strip wash with the help of my carer who also helped wash and dry my hair, I was looking as healthy as I could be due to my disabilities and I was truthful all the way through, I was awarded high rate for both parts of pip benefit, it's possible that by exaggerating all of your disabilities and the way you were dressed that they actually thought maybe you were putting it on as to how bad you were and saw through it,

If you needed to go to those extremes to receive low rate them I'm sorry but maybe that's how much you were entitled too.

• Posted

Good luck with your interview. Let us know how you get on.  Will be thinking of you Carol. 
    • Posted

Given you’ve got till Friday have you looked on line for guidance. I saw something that showed the points given for specific things? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.