Pip

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had a letter back for pip and I’ve been refused . I’ve had mental health problems for 11,years don’t mix with people don’t go into town etc . I was getting DLA now I’m even more stressed as don’t know what to do 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi janny, first off forget DLA imagine you never had it and know nothing about it, they are two completely different benefits and PIP is not a replacement for DLA as such.

Right so you applied for PIP either it was because DWP approached you or you approached them for a change of circumstances.

With either you needed to send in all new medical evidence to support your claim, anything from your DLA claim want be relevant as it's either too old or want cover the criteria that's now being used.

So as you have received a letter stating that you have not been granted PIP your next move is going to be an MR, mandatory consideration, that means you need to put in writing all the reasons you think they have underscored you.

Have you had a breakdown of what your assessors scored you? This would help as it would show the reason for low points.

Denise will maybe give her take on it but she's busy at the moment so maybe not.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply they approached me and said my DLA was ending even though through tribunal it was granted longer . Yes I’m going to do a report and ask them to re look at it . Not sure how to start it off yet 
  • Posted

HI Jenny,

Yes, Alexandria is correct you DLA award has no relevance on PIP at all. What you need to do is look at the PIP descriptors to see where you can gain those points. Did you do this before you applied?

Your DLA evidence can be used BUT you'll need to send more relevant up to date evidence. They can have have used DLA files for PIP evidence in the past, many many times. Even so, they are still completely different benefits. Just because you had a DLA award, it doesn't mean to say that you'll qualify for PIP and i'm sorry if that seems harsh but it's true. Did you send in evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for evidence.

If you don't have a copy of the assessment report then ring DWP PIP tomorrow and ask them to send you this. This will hlep you write your MR request letter. You will have 28 days from the date of the decision to request your MR. What you need to do is put in writing what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points and why?

There's advice on the Citizens advice website on the MR process please do take a look as links can't be posted here.

Bear in mind that most MR decisions remain the same, so the likelyhood of you having to take it to Tribunal is very high. 80% of MR decisions remain the same. If it doens't change then your best chance at Tribunal is to appear in person.

In the meantime your DLA payments will stop about 4 weeks after the decision was made. If someone was claiming Carers Allowance for you then that will also stop.

If you're claiming ESA/JSA/IS then the disability premiums you were claiming (if any) will also stop.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you I will be straight on to it tomorrow my gp did a letter . I will also look at links thank you. 
    • Posted

No problem. Did you send anything else other than a letter from your GP? That's not going to be enough to be honest. Do you have a social worker or support worker? Any letters from Consultants, recent print out of all current medication, a letter from someone that knows you well, A diary written by yourself. Anything like this but the more you can get that's relevant to how your conditions affect you daily the better.

Did you score any points in your assessment, if so how many did you score? Remember there's mobility and daily living.

• Posted

I sent print off of medication and 2 letters from different therapy groups that I’m on the list for . Yea scores were really bad 2 for daily living and 4 for mobility 
    • Posted

Do you mean you sent future appointment letters? Are you actually attending the therapy yet and they were letters about your condition? 

Ok those points will most likely mean that your MR decision will stay the same. 6 extra points needed for a daily living award, that's a lot to ask for with the MR to be honest.

• Posted

Yea waiting for therapy but had some about 10 years ago . It said on daily living that I had completed the cognitive test and calculated the change of money correctly. My hubby was with me and said I got all 3 questions wrong also said I didn’t ask a question to be repeated but I did 
    • Posted

Ok, future appointment letters are not classed as evidence and will not be accepted. The therapy you had 10 years ago will not be relevant either i'm afraid. You'll need to start to gather evidence that is relevant to how your condition affects you daily and proves that those descriptors apply to you.

The questions about the cognitive test during the assessment aren't really going to score you any points. They asked me a cognitive question about money and i don't even claim for mental health.

It seems like you don't really understand what PIP is all about and that isn't going to help you. There's a huge amount of info on the internet, if you look. Citizens advice website have a huge amount of info, Turn 2 us also have a small amount. There's also a PIP self test that you can complete, it's just a guide but it will give you some idea what you could score. Evidence is needed of course. Just google PIP self test.

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. Those PIP descriptors are very specific and unfortunately they won't apply to everyone. If some do apply to you then the onus is on you to prove that they do.

• Posted

Also the therapy you're waiting for will not score you any points for activity 3 managing therapy unless it's done in your own home and recommended by a health professional. If you go out for the appointment for the therapy then it doesn't count. PIP is a very difficult benefit to claim. rolleyes

Once you've done the PIP self test please come back and let me know what you scored and i'll do what i can to advise you.

• Posted

Ok thank you for all your help I will start looking it up tomorrow and have a good read . Thanks again 
  • Posted

Snap av been just refused too been in physciatrict hospital twice got chronic depression and anxiety and pts and got no points 4 care even after supplying them with up 2 date evidence as well as having mental health problems for over 40 yearsplus any questions he asked me about how it affects me he cut me straight off.so put in Mr today but it's an appeal I want 2 set things right.goodluck don't let them grind u down karma will c 2 them

• Posted

Thank you and good luck to you . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.