Pip

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone got any tips for filling in the pip form please. I have uc.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

PIP is not about a diagnosis, it's about how your conditions affect you daily. You should answer each question stating how your conditions affect you, whether you needs help or assistance, use aid or adaptions etc. There's plenty of guides on the internet about filling out the forms, citizens advice have a good guide.

I do advise you to do some research on what the descriptors are all about and what they mean before filling your form in, because they are quite complex.

PIP is all about scoring points in the descriptors and you need at least 8 points for an award. There's a PIP self test online that you can complete BUT it's just a guide to what you could score. Links can't be posted here so you'll have to google everything.

You'll need evidence to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for this. The onus is always on you to make sure it's sent with the claim form. Make sure you put your NI number on the top of everything you send. Future appointment letters aren't classed as evidence. Things like GP/Consultant letters, support worker letter, MRI scans/xrays, letter from someone that knows you well, printed prescription list of all current medication, things like this.

Expect a face 2 face assessment because most have these. You can also ring your local CAB or any other disability advice centre in your area for help with completely the forms. Filling them out correctly and knowing what to write is always a good start. If you don't have enough time to return your forms then you can ring DWP and they'll give you an extra 14 days.

Good luck.

• Posted

One thing i didn't ask. Is this a transfer from DLA ? a PIP first claim ? or a PIP review?

• Posted

Hi Denise thank you for your reply. I do get pip but was refused at first and had to appeal. I want to make sure that I fill in the form correctly this time.
    • Posted

No worries,

Ok, so is the form the same as the first one or a shortened version of it? The shortened version is multiple choice questions like this, got better, stayed the same or worse? If it's this form then don't be fooled by this, you need to put down as much info as possible about how your condition affects you.

If it's the same form as the first time then this isn't a review, it's a new claim. Some awards given by Tribunals don't have reviews. Instead DWP contact the claimant 3 months before the award is due to end asking them if they wish to continue with their claim they need to ring for another form. If then a decision hasn't been made by the time your award is due to end, your payments will stop. If your awarded successfully then your money will be backdated to the date it stopped.

Of course if it's a review with the shortened forms your money continues until a decision is made because reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end.

Good luck and if you need any further help, please just ask.

• Posted

Hi Denise

Thank you for your reply. It is a new claim form. I am worried that because my condition has got worse about putting this on the form. I already get the lower rate. I don't know whether to stick with what I was awarded the points for before or add how my condition has got worse which would mean the enhanced rate. I am worried that this would trigger a new assesment.

• Posted

Most people have face 2 face assessments whether there's a change of circumstances or not. My advice is to put on the form exactly how your conditions affect you. This is a new claim and not a review too. Don't forget to send all your evidence with the form because they rarely contact anyone.

• Posted

Hi Tina I also have UC I do claim PIP but my UC has never been taken into account when I claim, it doesn't seem to fit any of the criteria that makes you entitled to it.

Hope you don't mind me asking but what part of UC do you consider a reason to claim PIP for

• Posted

That's the issue with PIP, if you don't fit the descriptors you won't score the points, so there's no award. As we both know there's lots of people out there that won't qualify because of those descriptors being so specific.

I know someone personally that has UC and he works full time and controls it quite well with medication. I suppose we are all different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.