PIP

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone got any advice on how to pass a PIP assesment please

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was recently awarded PIP and I found CAB really helpful with filling in the forms i also asked for a home visit which I am sure helped support my claim I can honestly say I was treated with the utmost respect by the Assessor and the DWP
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm not really sure how to answer this question. No one can tell you how to pass a PIP assessment. It's not about passing it. It's about scoring the points throughout the descriptors to score enough points for an award. This will totally depend on how your conditions affect you daily and has nothing to do with a diagnosis. Everyone is different. Those that have the same condition can also be affected differently. One person may not be affected as bad as another person and vise versa, but you most certainly can't compare 2 people.

When you attend the assessment you'll need to answer those questions with as much detail as possible and avoid answering just a yes or no. They will be watching you from start to finish and may ask you some trick questions during the assessment. Be honest and truthful is my only advice but there will never be an answer or any advice on how to "pass a PIP assessment" Evidence will be needed to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for this.

Good luck.

• Posted

To be honest PIP is set out to turn down everyone and get people off disability benefits no matter how much you are entitled. My husband has PIP assessor come to house and I was there but the report that he wrote completely did not happen and was untrue. I told assessor all medical evidence is with GO and that everything we said was truth and my husband was shaky, couldnt answer any questions etc. But he scored zero. He had been on DLA for 5 years. Put in a mandatory reconsideration letter and received reply today that no change in their decision. My husband suffers black outs/ seizures and we had told assessor sometimes gets a warning but not always and needs accompanied going out. The report today actually said that he'd be fine going out on his own and if he was going to black out he gets an aura so will have time to get somewhere safe. They are a joke. My advice to you is record the assessment, we didn't know u can do this and as long as all medical notes are sent away that is back up evidence. They ask you do you give permission for them to get access to your medical notes, but I spoke to someone from PIP and they said they only ask this for courtesy but don't go looking the evidence.

• Posted

That's not exactly true, i'm sorry. There's many many people who successfully claim PIP, whether it's a first time claim or a transfer from DLA. We very rarely hear or read the good stories because if someone has a decision they're happy with then they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story.

People transferring from DLA are not guaranteed a PIP award. Some may not even qualify because of the descriptors. If they don't apply to a person then they won't be scored the points, therefore there's no award.

I'm not saying this the case with your husband im just stating this as an example.

They very very rarely contact anyone for evidence, the onus is always on you to make sure it's sent to support your claim. It does actually state on the front of the PIP form what to send with the form...evidence is one of the things it says should be sent.

Less than 20% of MR decisions are successful so his chances were always slim at that stage.

He now has 28 days to request the Tribunal and for this he needs to fill in the SSCS1 form and make sure he sends a copy of the MR decision letter with the form. If this is not sent then the appeal will be refused. Everything that was sent to the DWP will be sent to the Tribunal by DWP. This includes evidence if it was sent/ the original form and the assessment report. You do not need to send anything at this stage, you just need to make sure the request is sent within those 28 days. You'll have plenty of time afterwards to send more evidence, as long as it reaches the Tribunal within 10 days before the hearing date then that's fine. Do not take it with you on the day of the hearing because there's a chance they will refuse it.

Appearing in person will give him the best chance of a decision in his favour. Unless you're his appointee then you won't be able to speak for him during the Tribunal. He will have to answer all the questions himself. They may ask you if there's anything you want to add at the end.

The worst part of all is the wait, i'm afraid. Some are waiting several months and more for a hearing date.

If you can get some help from your local CAB or any other disability advice centre then i advise you do this. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Tina I hope you're ok I recently had my dla to pip assessment I had been on dla just the mobility component for a few years after getting a lifetime award at a tribunal I never claimed that care component of dla as I thought I needed a carer the pip assessment went well I thought chap was ok with me then I got the results I have been awarded standard rate for both components so I lost my notability car but gained a lot more money with the esa top up as well as the pip payments I'm not going to appeal as the cab said I could end up losing good luck with yours it turned out ok for me

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. That's a good result. Last time the assesment went badly for me. It was like he was looking for any excuse not to award pip. Hopen it goes well this time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.