PIP a benefit not fit for purpose

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

When is a benefit not a benefit, when it doesn't benefit you.

We live in a world of competitiveness, the haves and have nots, the I want what you've got, often without working for what others have achieved.

To that end it's possible to see why the haves don't want the have nots to possess what they have without working for it.

We are also told that about one million people live in poverty in the U.K. That would seem like nonsense until you realise what constitutes of poverty these days.

Do disabled people have to live in poverty before they should be able to claim pip, it could look that way to claimants.

Mike.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

One thing about PIP is that there's so many people who just don't understand it. Those that were claiming DLA for many many years were just left alone. Now PIP has replaced that and is completely different. Unless a person falls under the very specific criteria then they don't really have much chance of an award. The key is evidence and lots of it. Don't just leave it to them to gather this because it's very rare that they do. There's also the reliability part that falls into the criteria to think about.  Do your research before doing anything because there sure is plenty of it on the internet. Get help filling on that extremely long form is a start because if that's filled out wrong then it doesn't give much hope. When i first applied for PIP i simply didn't have a clue where to start and i wasn't a member of any forums either so had no help there but i did my research and found out what i could before going to the assessment. I had help filling out those forms.

Those claiming HRM for DLA don't automatically qualify for Enhanced PIP mobility because yet again the criteria is so different. With DLA it was 50 metres, with PIP it's 20 metres but you have to be able to walk this reliabiliy, without pain and discomfort and in a timely manner. So much to think about. As i've said many many times we only ever hear the bad stories and not the good. If more people talked about their good stories then it would help those currently going through a claim. However those that have got the award and have no questions to ask obviously don't have anything to talk about.

• Posted

Good answer ! Yes I see all these people were I life all on dla and actually nothing wrong with them ! It angers me so much because I live with pain and so many mental illness issues! These people have big house big cars everything , pip probably is the best way to go even if I don't get awarded I'm think by right I have a good case as I am actually ill !!

• Posted

Well l was on lifetime DLA and l can assure you l ain't got a big car , a big house or most other things as l suffer from quite a few very serious ongoing medical conditions and thus so far l have had 10 operations so please don't try to stereotype and demonise the vast majority of people who are either on DLA/PIP Christina as the reality is  very much different from what some seems to believe in this country.

• Posted

It's so hard to tell whether someone needs DLA/PIP or not.  A member of my family had DLA and a mobility car for many years yet to look at him you wouldn't know he had a problem.  It was all internal, his heart was the main risk associated with mobility - if he'd pushed himself to walk he could have had another heart attack and died or damaged his heart further.  He had many other problems but received a lot of abuse using his blue badge because it looked like nothing was wrong with him.

If someone tells you there is nothing wrong with them and they've managed to scam the system to get their benefit then fair enough - they deserve criticism.  If not and you just think there is nothing wrong with them then it's probably best to give them the benefit of the doubt.  We can't possibly know what another person is going through unless they've told us and even then we don't know if they've given us the full story as some of the difficulties that result in an award of PIP are very personal.  I certainly wouldn't tell a stranger or a neighbour everything that is wrong with me if they gave the impression they didn't think I should be getting the benefits I am on.  

Mental illness is a good example of this.  Most of the time to look at a person with a mental illness you wouldn't have a clue how much they're struggling. You'll only see them on a good day because on a bad day they might not make it out of the house, possibly not make it out of bed.  Plenty of people still think that people with mental illness don't deserve benefits because they could pull themself together if they were just a bit more determined or stronger.  It's weakness or laziness, not an illness or disability!!  I've heard those comments made to people with mental illness.  Just to be clear, I don't believe, I have a severe mental illness myself, it's just an example of how wrong people can be if they make a judgement just by looking at someone.

• Posted

I think the key point is that PIP does not address the "problems" you mentionregarding DLA. I was on DLA and had several assessments for it, DWP have moved the goalposts, with their favourite buzzword "criteria", which does not too address the issue of those who were, as you say have "nothing wrong with them", and places all of us with a disability in the same boat and we have to "prove" we are entitled to what is rightfully ours.

PIP is, in my opinion, not the best way to go and, at very best, could be seen as the lesser of two evils - but PIP is an evil none the less. 

• Posted

Good points Belgravia.

I too was on DLA.which I was assessed for several times. I dont have a car and can`t drive - not out of choice as my PIP assessor alleges but due to my shoulder injury.

As you will see on my post, I have replied to Christina and in fairness to her, don`t think she was intentionally stereotyping or demonizing but expressing the belief which some may have due to the misinformation which has been spoonfed to the public by "the pwers-to-be".

• Posted

I am on indefinite DLA, have been for 15yrs plus. I have a comfortable home and I have a car, the reason for that is I work despite 9 medical conditions and 31 medications, I am in constant pain and fall asleep as soon as I get home, I'm off sick at the moment as I've just had major surgery on my shoulder, my dominate arm in a sling for 2 months.

I have lost 3 jobs through ill health i just move onto a new job, fortunately I 'look' well enough to get through an interview.

You cannot look at a person and decide for yourself if they need DLA or PIP, you are not inside their body and living their daily struggles. Who is to say 'I deserve it I'm ill, their not'

Rather than be angry with someone because you perceive them to have what you want ( house, car) be glad you don't have what they also have ( long term health needs, every bit as painful as yours) they are actually ill too.

It saddens me rather than angers me that we still have to say, not all disability is visible and particularly to another disabled person.

• Posted

I wasn't implying that I was talking about people here ! I no for fact not fiction that they have no health issues never been assesed or anything else ,, every night weekend out partying ! So please don't think I'm talking about ye or anyone else , I clearly saying we're I live !

• Posted

Your post did not make that clear, as I was not the only one to be concerned at your comment,

As to out partying every weekend seems a little excessive to me, when I get in my car and drive away from my house I'm sure my neighbors have no idea where I am going, and if I have music on indoors I'm sure they don't know if I'm up doing a wild dance or just sat listening to it.

My neighbors wouldn't know if I've ever been assessed or 'anything' as I don't gossip and talk to them about my personal and private life. And so fact or fiction has nothing to do with it.

Concentrate on yourself and your own problems without making accusations on others, you come across as bitter.

• Posted

Not bitter at all , the person I'm referring to here had told the dla she couldn't walk ! She on Facebook partying ever weekend with videos of her dances etc ! That who referring to , no one else

• Posted

Ah so 'Yes I see all these people were I life all on dla and actually nothing wrong with them' comes from 1 person you know who is apparently scamming the system.   

Well this person must be a very clever actor to fool all the doctors and assessors.  Maybe you should suggest she takes up acting as a career?  She must win an oscar! 

It's all spin from politicians trying to set us all against each other - the genuinly sick against the 'scammer',  the working poor against those who are sick,   Those with children set against those without.  It's about divide and rule so don't play that game please.

• Posted

Thank you hypercat, I also read it as 'all these people' as a generalisation.

My neighbours don't even know I have my arm in a sling! I can't drive for 8 weeks, I can't go to work so I'm indoors resting and recovering, my neighbours might think I've buggered off abroad for 8 weeks for all I know! The car isn't moving anywhere.

The only comment I've had so far is from the postman when I opened the door and he greeted me with oh! You're usually never in apart from weekends!

So what you see on Facebook, I take it you're 'friends' with her??! Might not be what it seems.

My Facebook doesn't have photos of my arm in a sling or my using my nebuliser or videos of my coughing my guts up at 3am having an asthma attack. Or huddled in a ball on my chair when the fibro hurts.

If she's a fake and cheating the system then she will get caught out, But she is one person not 'all these people'

• Posted

To Christina and Southernbelle

I have read the discussion between you.

May I submit my observations? In my opinion, Christina is expressing her personal experience, which appears to have had an affect on her, personally, Southernbelle says she does not discuss her disability and nor do I, but that has not prevented, overheard, comments from neighbours when my carer arrived (usually in the form of "why does she park outside my house when my (able-bodied) son is coming?"wink and complete lack of understanding as to why I have carers visit.

Although incidences like this can arise - some borne out of frustration and anger at a system which deprives us of our rights - surely we are all victims, in varying degrees, of an unjust system which the public has little or no concept of, and our fight/disagreements should not be with each other but with the "powers to be" who are responsible for this situation.

I sincerely hope you both, and everyone else, has a good a day as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.