PIP advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have just received my PIP

assessment letter and I feel things have been disregarded.

I am wondering if I should write a letter to ask them to look at the decision again, but I am worried it will affect the decision. I have been awarded the standard rate in both mobility and care.

I suffer from depression and anxiety

The part I am really upset about is the fact that she has said I didn't look to have low mood or anxiety and I coped well , when I actually sat and cried in the interview, I needed someone with me as I was extremely anxious. I thought mental health issues were starting to be understood, yet I have been penalised because I looked "ok"

Other aspects of my anxiety condition was not taken into account either, like help with bills, dealing with letters, social anxiety, I explained that I struggled with all this yet I was not awarded any points because she decided that I could.

It has really upset me that someone can sit in judgement and totally disregard what you're telling them.

So can anyone tell me if it's worth having them look again, do they ever change their decision, or would I be risking losing it all together?

Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

You can ask them for a MR and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this. You do however risk losing everything you already have. Mostly MR decisions remain the same so the likelyhood of taking to Tribunal is very high. Only 20% of MR decisions change but 70% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour. The whole process can take a months and months, some are waiting a year for theor Tribunal hearing.

Lots of people have lies told in their reports so nothing new there unfortunately. Even though you explained the issues you have did you send in evidence to prove this? Evidence is really important when applying for these sort of things, without it your chances are low.

If you want to ask for the MR then you'll need to put the request in writing stating what you disagree with and send in evidence to support this. The decision is yours. Good luck.

• Posted

Have you had the decision or is that just from the assessment report? If you haven't yet had the decision then you will need to wait for this before requesting the MR.

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Yes I have had the decision, I was 2 points short of the enhanced rate.

• Posted

Hi,

I don't know how I am able to show evidence of my anxiety and depression?

The fact that I need prompting to be motivated etc.

If I request that it be looked at again by letter, would I have to be assessed again by someone?, it's such a stressful process and I'm sure that's why so many people don't appeal.

• Posted

As Billyjay says any reports from Consultants, GP, Social workers, letter from someone that knows you well, a diary written by yourself will also help. If you go for the diary and letter then i'd advice backing this up with other medical evidence for stronger evidence.

You say you were 2 points short of Enhanced, was this in both parts daily living and mobility?

For mobility even though the Upper Tribunal ruled that those with psychological distress can be awarded Enhanced mobility for following and planning a journey they haven't yet changed the descriptors to allow that. Even when they do i'm afraid not everyone will qualify for this. Is the reason you need someone to go out with you because you suffer from psychological distress when going out?

When asking for the MR they won't ask you to attend another assessment.

• Posted

What points did you score, if any for activity 9 engaging with others, and activity 10, making budgeting decisions? This is for the daily living part.

For following and planning a journey if you scored 10 points for this was it part D or E you scored this in?

• Posted

Hi again,

Thanks for your message.

I suffer from both physical and psychological problems which hinder me from going out.

I don't have a social worker. My partner has sold up and moved to help me, and it's really her that's saw how it's been and has been caring for me. I realise that it's not an independent source when it comes to giving a report on my needs, but it's all the help I get .

Yes I was 2 points short on both components.

• Posted

No problem,

As you're disagreeing with the decision and are thinking of asking for a MR then you will need some medical evidence to score those extra points, if you don't then your chances of being successful are very slim.

Do you see anyone regarding your conditions like a GP, social worker, CPN, Consultant or anything like that? It will help massively if you can get reports from either of these. If you can't then you do risk your current award.

If the only evidence you gave was from your partner then well done on getting the award you already have. As i said before to others it is possible to be awarded without the medical evidence but for the Enhanced then medical evidence will be needed.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I see my GP and some other health professionals, and have medical evidence of my physical problems.

Unfortunately I stopped seeing a cpn because I was finding it too stressful, and unfortunately these things don't seem to be taken into consideration.

Anyway thanks for your advice and taking the time to reply.

• Posted

That's why they didn't take your mental health into consideration because you didn't give evidence. They will not take your word for it. You can ask your GP if he/she has anything in your medical records that you can use as evidence. There maybe a charge for this though so be aware. Usually when ever i've been to various appointments i get sent a letter and my GP is sent the same one. I then keep all the letters safe to use for evidence when the time comes. Back it up with a diary and a letter from someone that knows you well. I'd say use just the diary and a letter but it's very risky when asking for the MR when you have an award at risk.

How long is your award for? They review all awards 1 year before they are due to end so take that into consideration too. If it's just 1 year before your review it maybe worth waiting until your review. In the meantime gather some evidence if possible regarding your mental health.

Good luck, what ever your decision.

• Posted

Hi Sarah ..did you send in dr reports..cpn reports....or if you have been to councillor. ...your prescription of your meds this helps a bit lol..denise is the one to advise you on this...I have depression and anxiety also..hope you get sorted out x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.