PIP and Blue Badge

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi 

i am hoping for some advice regarding PIP Payments and Blue Badges.  

I have suffered from leg ulcers for 8 years now and have had both legs in compression bandaging. Over the last few months I have really struggled with standing and walking due to the pain and burning caused by the ulcers and over the last few weeks suffered with lower back pain and really bad pain in my left knee.  This has resulted in me being more or less stuck in the house except for clinic runs twice a week and school runs.  I have had to put a chair in the kitchen so i can sit down while waiting on the kettle boiling to make a cup of coffee and when I have been really bad had to use my sons crutches just to walk around in the house.  I have even considered hiring or buying a wheelchair just so i can get out the house for a few hours without being in pain.  

Does anyone know if I would be able to get any help either with a blue badge or PIP.  I tried looking online but got confused.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

With PIP it's all about how your condition/s affect you daily. If you need help with washing/dressing/undressing/preparing, cooking food, budgeting, and mobility then you maybe able to claim it yes. I can't post links here but if you google PIP descriptors then a list of all the pints that can be scored will be there. You'll need plenty of evidence to support a claim, from Dr's/consultant letters, hospital reports, Occupational Therapist reports, letter from someone who knows you well to even a diary from yourself. Any or all of these then it's possible you could be awarded. Providing you're 64 or under that is. To start a claim you ring the PIP helpline, theyll ask  you some questions and then send you a PIP2 form. Fill this in and return it within the date stated on the letter.

With a Blue badge you don't automatically qualify without DLA/PIP mobility award. Being given on outside of these awards would totally depend on your local councils criteria. You can search online and see the criteria for your local council. Some will, some won't if they will then an assessment will be needed before a decision is made for that. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply.  

I dont need any help with days to day things like washing dressing etc, although I do struggle with standing to wash dishes, make coffee etc due to pain and had to put a dinning chair in my kitchen so i can keep sitting down.  The main struggle I have is walking which is very limited, some days i even struggle walking around the house and have to pluck up the courage to stand up due to the pain.  Going to the shops is a nightmare, even just for a loaf of bread or carton of milk, I have to send my husband or older son if I cant get parked anywhere near the enterance as I know I just wouldnt make it across the car park without being in agony.

I am under my GP only for my back at the moment not that they help me but I have been under 6 different hospital consultants for the last 8 years and now dermotology too for my venous leg ulcers (both legs).  I also suffer from asthma which I have had for 15 years and is well controlled. 

I will start keeping a daily diary and will phone the PIP Helpline and my local council regarding the blue badge and see what they say.  I dont work and I am not on any benefits with the exception of child benefit and child tax credit, so not sure how it all works. 

Thanks again for your reply.  

• Posted

If you google those PIP descriptors there's a list of all the points that could be scored for various things. This will also help you understand what PIP is all about because having some understanding about it will help. People claim PIP and work so it's not mean tested and won't affect any other money you have. If you don't at least try to apply you'll never know. It can be a very long process and i'll be honest it's not gaurenteed. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi twinkle, nothing to do with pip, which im sure there are plenty on here to give yoy advise regarding that, but I was just wondering what treatment are you being given for your leg ulcers, are they caused by a vascular disease, have you tried topical meds
    • Posted

HI thanks for your reply. 

At the minute I am currently under the Tissue Viability Team at the ulcer clinic who I see twice a week for dressing changes as my ulcers have deteriated when they have been changed just once a week.  

I have fucibet cream on the actual ulcer on my right leg covered by a N-A Ultra, Zetvit Pad and then padded out with K-Soft before applying the K-Two Compression Bandaging.   On my left leg I have Ichthopaste on the ulcers (cant have it wrapped round as a bandage due to having very sensitive skin so they cut and place it over the ulcers instead), my leg is then dressed the same as my right left from the zetivit pad to bandaging.

I had lazer surgery at the end of May this year on my left leg (waiting to find out if need it on right leg too), and it went really well no pain at all, was back up on feet within few hours of surgery and one ulcer has healed (had it nearly 2 years) and the other ulcer is now 1.5cm x 2cm (was approx 5cm x 7cm before surgery and deteriating) its smaller than ever been and healing lovely.  Would recommend the laser surgery if you can have it, but will need a deep vain scan to check veins first, I had a problem with the valves inside the vein not closing which meant my blood wasnt flowing back up my leg properly.  

Over the last 8 years since the 1st ulcer appeared (after kicking my sons bike pedal) the only things i have tried which I havent reacted to are inadine dressings, honey dressings, then the ichthopaste dressing and fusibet cream.  I have tried alot of other dressings including Silver but was allegic to them all including the double base cream for mosturising my leg.  

For pain I have had Oramorph, Codeine, Paracetomal and Iburophen over the years which have helped ease the pain/burning but have found that nothing totally takes the pain or burning (caused by the nerve endings being exposed) away and have had to just put up with it and try and control it with the painkillers. Your GP surgery will hopefully be better than mind and more understanding when it comes to pain etc.

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi sorry for late reply, I am not sure if this could help and I don't know if ulceration on legs is similar to bed sores, last year I had a bad fall and spent about ten weeks immobile and developed a bed sore on my elbow, by the time the physio noticed it it was quite bad and as it was a Friday she said she would get the tissue nurse out to me on the Monday, by the time she came Monday it was almost cleared, she asked what I had used, I told her a tumeric paste, she was amazed to say the least especially when I showed her the picture of it.

Ask your nurse what she thinks, you could always try it on a small one first.

Its quite messy so watch your sheets.

• Posted

Hi Thanks for you reply.  I not sure if leg ulcers and bed sores are the same, I would imagine they are very simular.  I will ask the tissue viability nurses about the Tumeric Paste when Im next there.  I seem to be allegic to alot of dressings they have applied over the years, but dont think I have tried the Tumeric Paste so might be worth a try, got nothing to lose.  

Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.