PIP and carer’s allowance

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI, everyone.

I receive carers allowance as I am my husband's full time carer.

He is now due to reassessment of PIP. We have sent an application form and waiting for DWP to contact him.

His current award will end early Sep. If he doesn't get the decision by the end date, should I contact DWP for my carers allowance or will they stop paying carers allowance automatically until they make a decision?

Also will they back date carers allowance if he gets awarded PIP daily activity components again?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

The carers allowance will automatically stop but they will write to you if this happens. If he's the awarded the daily living PIP then you'll be able to re-claim the carers allowance. Do be aware that this could affect any other benefits you're claiming.

I'm assuming that because the PIP ends on this date that he was awarded by a Tribunal and not by DWP, is that correct?

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Yes, he has awarded by tribunal.

He received a confirmation text message on the next day we posted the application.

Do they carry on payment until new decision is made even if he's awarded by tribunal?

• Posted

Hi there, did you get confirmation that they received your form? If yes then they should carry on paying your husbands PIP and your carers until their decision is made. If no contact straight away.

They seem to be taking around 12 weeks at the moment to make their decisions. If you are worried then it wont do any harm to just call and check on progress and ask questions. The helpline people are very helpful in my experience.

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I'm afraid this isn't correct.

If an award was made by a Tribunal then DWP contact the claimant approximately 14 weeks before the award is due to end. This means that because the award by the Tribunal has an end date then if a decision hasn't made by the time that end date arrives then the PIP will stop. Once a decision's been made if the award is successful then payments will be backdated to the date they stopped.

This is totally different to those that are awarded by DWP and have review dates.

If the PIP stops then carers allowance will continue for a further 4 weeks and then stop.

• Posted

HI Denise,

thanks for clarifying the point. Most helpful. I wasn't aware of the Tribunal award having an end cut off date. The group is lucky to have an expert.

Its still useful to check if the forms have arrived safely,. if they haven't text or informed that they have been received then chances are they could be lost? The helpline advised me to send mine by registered signed for mail as some forms seem to get lost.

I also found the helpline very useful and informative.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply.

He received a confirmation text from DWP.

I am wondering if they will carry on payment until the new decision is made even if his current award is given by tribunal...

• Posted

Sadly the PIP will stop if a decision hasn't been made by the end date, as previously advised.

• Posted

AH I see that the forms were received. Sorry for repeating, it looks like you've found a very informed contact for advice. I hope it goes well and the award is made within the time frame.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for the advices.

I now know what to expect and feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.