Pip and carers allowance

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am looking for some advice

I was recently awarded pip enhanced in both components and I do have a cousin who helps me with things and is with me a lot of the time the problem is with him being on JSA this is difficult because of him needing to look for work or risk sanctions which obviously I don’t want to happen

If he was to claim carers allowance how would this work with regards his JSA also I understand that I may loose money as I am also currently getting ESA and am in the support group getting £109.65 a week and was considering suggesting this to him

Any advice would be appreciated


0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Mick,

    Yes, he could clam Carers Allowance providing he looks after you for at least 35 hours per week. If you claimed Carers Allowance then he could claim Income Support and not JSA. What he also needs to look at first with changing over from JSA to Income Support is whether his are is a full Universal Credit area. If it is then he would have to change to this and not the other legacy benefits. He can check what's in his are by googling UC postcode checker, then put his postcode into the box. If it says full UC then it would be that he'll need to claim. If it doesn't say that then it would be Income support. UC is paid monthly rather than fortnightly like the legacy benefits. There's also a 6 week wait for money to start. So have a check of what's in his area and come back and tell me, if it's not a full area then i'll help you further.

    For your other question, claiming Carers Allowance will only affect someones ESA if they claim the Severe disability premium and i think i asked you before and i think you told me that you don't live alone, is that correct? I can't remember if you said you have a partner that works?

    • Posted

      Hi Denise 

      First off thank you for all your help

      I have checked his postcode in the UC CHECKER and it says he is in a full UC area

      In answer to your second enquiry I live with my parents who are both elderly so I do not think I get SDP


    • Posted

      Hi denise how ru?

      I am currently on low care dla for life I am now applying for pip as I have multiple health issues. I have got a letter from my physciatricts and social worker but that's all was at my doctors yesterday was going to ask him 2 write a letter but it said in the surgery that they have stopped doing it as the relevant authorities would contact them regarding health issues. So I only have the 2 letters do u think this will b enough? Because if the dwp contact my docs they will c my illnesses some serious I have chronic depression &anxiety with pts.chronic arthritis on neck and shoulders. Emphysema. Chronic prostitus. Peripheral disease (hardening of ateries) and disease on my other leg.and back problems so on ur opinion do u think I will qualify even just with my 2 letters. Thanks 😁

    • Posted

      You're welcome.

      I'm wondering why you're only claim CB ESA Mick and not an Income Related top up? As you live with your parents and don't have a partner then this doesn't affect your benefits, therefore you should be claiming £125 per week and not £109. What you should have included with your ESA money is the Enhanced disability premium which is and extra £15.90 on top of what you get now. It will also allow you to claim free prescriptions, Dental and eye tests and also the cold weather payment if temperatures fall bellow zero for 7 consecutive days during the winter months. You need to ring ESA Mick and ask them to send you the ESA3 form to fill in. It won't prompt a new assessment for ESA so please don't worry. It's just a form to fill in for them to assess you for Income related top up. You also need to ask them to back date all of the money they owe you. How long have you been single and living with your parents? And how long have you been in the support group for please?

      As for the carers Allowance claim then being in a full UC area can be tricky like i said.

      He can claim JSA and Carers Allowance and this would give him an extra £34.60 on top because of the over lapping benefit rule. What they do is take off the carers from his JSA and add a premium of £34.60, then CA would then pay him the £62.70, making him £34.60 per week better off.   Doing it this way would mean that he would only be able to look for part time work. To claim Carers you can't earn more than £116 per week after tax. As he's a in full UC credit area he wouldn't be able to claim Income Support it would be UC and then the premium on top of that BUT he would be excused from doing any work related activity because he'll be your carer but as i said a UC claim takes 6 weeks for payments to start. It's very complicated and difficult to explain properly here. For the best advice i'd advice him going to see a benefits adviser like CAB in his area.

      Hope this helps and i hope you've understand what i'm trying to explain. In the meantime please ring ESA today. Good luck.


    • Posted

      Thank you for the info Denise, I did not know about the ESA3 form and am a little worried about getting one and filling it in I have been in ESA support group for about 2 year as I think it gets reviewed in 2019 and was awarded it for 3 years because of disability that I have had from birth


    • Posted

      You're welcome. Please don't worry about contacting ESA about this Income Related top up. There's 1000s of people that aren't claiming the correct money and so many people are being paid huge amounts of back pay for this very reason. Contacting them regarding this will not prompt another re-assessment, you're simply contacting them regarding money that you're entitled to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.