PIP and Down syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, My daughter has down syndrome, she was 16 in September and we have just filled in and sent off pip forms. I have missed a call from a nurse from DWP whos said she will phone back later. Should I worry about this? Are they likely to turn her down for pip, baring in mind she can not be left on her own and her mental age is around 6/7 years old?

I have no problem fighting her corner as I have done this previously when she was originally turned down for dla, I was told it was curable!!!!

I am her appointee which was agreed in August. At present she gets high rate care and mobility.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I personally would say you have a good case for claiming it under those circumstances, have you sent in lots of substantiating evidence, if you have they may just do a phone assessment and then take it from there.

Its not all doom and gloom, I know there are those that get knocked back but you can ask for a MR and appeals, but I'm sure yours will be fine.

Take care

• Posted

Do you mean the actual assessment, if so mine was exactly one and a half hours at home, or do you mean the length of time from sending in forms to decision, that can take anywhere from 3 weeks to a few months, but on average about 4 to 6 Weeks
    • Posted

Hiya, yes I sent in her EHC plan and the EP reports from school, and also her IEP targets. It clearly states on these how far behind she is.

I think I am probably just panicking about it. My Dad passed away in August and since then everything sends me into a panic!

• Posted

Sorry for your loss, its bad enough coping with that and now this, please don't worry, I'm sure it will be no problem, when we are down, and you have good reason to be, every little thing becomes a mega obstical, don't allow this to become more worrisome than it needs to be.

• Posted

Mine was 4 weeks to the day, some hear back quicker and some longer, it all depends I think on areas and medical history, but no matter if you worry or not it will take the same time.

Try to forget about it and the time will go faster

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.